It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 196
Frustrated1 HB User
Post Gluten Production

I have a question I thought I would pose to the board.
Do some food that contain wheat have lower gluten concentration? If I understand correctly gluten is produced when wheat is mixed with water (levened) gluten is what gives bread its body. But what about muffins and pancakes, where the batter is not levened or is risen by baking soda?

Secondly, what are some of the commerical names for gluten and wheat that should be avoided, such as
Hydrolyded vegetable protein, if I am not mistaken is a thickener made from wheat.

I have avoided all forms of wheat, but have found other foods that made me sick because of their unknown wheat content

Thanks,

 
Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 138
adso HB User
Post

I dont have any Gluten experience myself, although part of diagnosing IBS was a blood test for 'Coeliac Disease'. Which is where the digestive system reacts abnormally to Gluten.

But my partner has spent a few years nannying for Autistic children, where gluten was one of the many absolute no-no's for the kids. I dont think I can post links, but try searching for "gluten" and "elimination diet". Because its a common sensitivity. She doesnt believe its anything to do with the water. Gluten is one of the proteins found in Wheat, Barley, Oats & Rye.

Also once you remove something like wheat or gluten from your diet, youre then far more sensitive to its effects if you do accidently eat it. Youre body loses its tolerance to deal with the offending food.

Lastly something I had noticed, they do sell things in stores like gluten-free muffins/bread etc.. But they dont taste as good, and they are a bit of a boutique item. But they do exist. My partner also used to make casein gluten free items such as Biscuits, Scones & Chicken Nuggets.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-08-2003, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 196
Frustrated1 HB User
Post

Well, as part of my food diary I found out that I am sensitive to wheat, and therefore I have eliminated about 95% of all instances from my diet. The other 5% was accidental. Only a couple of times have I tried on purpose, under a doctor's care.

Luckily I have found a store that does have these type of health foods, I have made some things with it but you do have to enhance the flavor.

At this time, I am sooo afraid of eating anything with wehat that I cannot attempt to purchase anything with it in it.

Thanks for the response

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
GLUTEN-FREE diet & misery...Help! livelifelarge24 Digestive Disorders 2 02-25-2009 08:04 AM
Gluten Intolerance jozi209 Diet & Nutrition 1 02-27-2008 12:07 AM
I need advice from people eating gluten-free or wheat-free diets GurlyGurly_17 General Health 1 10-06-2006 11:36 PM
Allergy to Gluten Sco24 Allergies 4 05-02-2006 05:31 PM
Gluten is really bad.. Losec20mg Diet & Nutrition 51 12-19-2004 03:41 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



solofelix (24), flipfleury (19), Gugulimo (5), seabell (5), ladybud (4), JJ (4), gmak (4), puzzik79 (4), Meadowsweet33 (3), simone444 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!