It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #1

loisengle HB User
Unhappy Passing out!

Hi there. I am new to this so I hope you all get it and someone can try and help me understand.
Well let me begin...
I am a thirty year old woman that has had many passing out episodes...A few times finding myself on the floor or stuck between the bathroom door and a wall.
What happens is I get severe cramps so I go to sit on the toilet expecting to have a bowel movement, I sit there in extreme pain, then I begin to feel as though I am going to vomit, then come the hot flahes and cold sweats, then I am out..when I come back through I am basically okay, a little light headed but basically ok. This last episode happened about three weeks ago, smae story but this time I fell and ended up with 5 stitches in my eyebrow and a messed up elbow that still hurts...I went to the ER and they didn't check anything out on me because I told them I had IBS, I have never been diagnosed with it but my family physician suggested it about 6 years ago. I guess I am just scared because of all of the messages I have read on here this evening I haven't seen any where anyone has passed out, they have come close but haven't. Is this a normal IBS happening? Also, the episode before this last one I was admitted into the hospital on the heart floor because they thought the passing out had something to do with my heart being by the time I got to the hospital my heart rate was really low...I went through alot of testing (tilt test, ecc) and everything came back fine, so they pushed me aside. So there it is...
Also, if anyone has any advice on how to deal with the passing out to prevent myself from getting hurt, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2003, 01:34 AM   #2

adso HB User
Hi, that sounds like an awful ordeal. Btw have you ever passed out in any other situations?

Your situations on the toilet sound like classic IBS. Generally you feel like you need to have a BM. But you can sit there half the night without anything actually happening. During this period you will quite often be hit with an urge to vomit, which as you know is quite yukky when youre being hit at both ends at the one time. Normally its like 'lock the bathroom door' for a while. But in your case youll have to be more careful, maybe more thick bathroom mats on the floor just in case?

During the event, there is also shocking pain, pain that sounds like it might be leading you to passing out? Just your body saying, I cant take this anymore. Which means by the time youve woken up the episode is over? Ive never passed out myself, but im very very weak, I generally try to find the least painful position, which is on my knees on the bathroom floor, or sometimes sort of a fetal position. Other times if the pain subsides and i can get back to the bedroom, I try sitting in a recliner chair, leaning right back, and I find this the least painful position and the best chance of getting some rest and staying warm.

They certainly sound like IBS symptoms, but maybe you should consider finding out for sure? Especially since its knocking you around so badly.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

This sounds very much like what are known as Vasovagal attacks. The Vagus nerve is a large nerve that runs through the gut and causes stimulation to occur. Blood pressure is also controlled by nerve impules and basically what happens is that when you have one of these IBS attacks with the severe belly pain, you get the nerve impules that cause your blood pressure to drop and when you have a mixture of the pain and the low bp, then you pass out and then come too and can then recover quite quickly.

If you have a tendency to low blood pressure also, this could be a cause.

Go and get this checked out to see, but this sounds very much like what is happening.

Good luck

Old 07-07-2003, 08:34 AM   #4

loisengle HB User
Thanks for responding so quickly. ADSO, no I have never passed out under any other circumstances. Each time has been on the toilet...

I would love to go to the doctors, I at this time and have been for the past 5 years, been without health insurance. I do everything possible to make sure I have it available for my kids, I've some how put me aside. Though I really want to know what is wrong with me...It is so scary passing out, each time seems to get worse...

Thanks again for responding so quickly!

Old 07-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #5

adso HB User
Where are you from? i.e. What is the health insurance side like?

In Australia we have a pretty good medical system. We have somethign called Medicare which covers a chunk of everything I have had done so far. The most expensive thing I have seen so far was the colonoscopy, through a private clinic it was to be $1200 AUS, or $900 US or so. I was able to do it through the hospital system which thankfully bore the costs. But youre definately right, it is very draining financially. Speciailists charge a lot per visit and its a hard to diagnose illness. Lately in Australia, our doctors are turning away from Bulk-Billing also, so GP visits are now costly.

If private health insurance will cover such things, even if it is a pre-existing illness, maybe it would be a good idea? I might investigate myself too...

Old 07-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #6

adso HB User
Sorry I forgot to mention, Sarah makes some interesting points you could mention too. Maybe the passing out could be a slightly different issue that the doctor could have an easier fix for.

Try and go to a good GP if you can think of one. The lazier Docs wont really listen to you, they will just make a quick summation, assume a whole lot and send u on your way. Im still looking for a new GP myself, because my old clinic has closed down, its important to find someone good and stick with him/her...

Old 07-08-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi loisengle,

I believe that pains in the rectum is possibly caused by misbehaviour of a nerve in the right hand side back of your brain. It might help a little to massage your skull around that area - avoiding the exact corner by a two centimeter diameter circle.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
(female)

sroman127 HB User
I have come very close to passing out. I always had to lay down on the bathroom floor and that would keep me from actually fainting.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
(female)

csny85 HB User
Someone please help me out!!

Oh my God! I am so glad i found this site...i had no idea what these are. I been having the same symptoms. Does it matter how old u are? Cuz im only 19. It usually happens like 5 minutes after i wake up or sometimes if im up too long, it starts with my head i get a really bad headache at first, then my sight starts going and my hearing and my breathing slows down,it feels like someone is punching me in the stomach when it is happening, and i have to lay down as soon as it happens right where i am, cuz the pain is so bad. Then it starts moving down to my lungs, and to my stomach then it feels like i have to go to the bathroom so bad, and the pain is so excruciating and i get scared cuz i dont want is happening, it is very very uncomnfortable. It lasts like a good hour or so and afterwards i am so exhausted from all this and tired again. it happened quite a few times lately, and i been having problems lately with bad headaches and nasuea really bad where i have to vomit and then i feel better. the headache so severe it keeps me up when i try to go to bed not only that...my eyes were playing up during this it was in march. i had to go to the eyedoctor they been getting real blurry and havin problems...i dont know what all this exactly is but can someone please help me out! thank you...

Closed Thread