It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 04:55 PM   #1

HwoodOnVine HB User
Post Colonoscopy ~ I have to wait over 2 months!

Well, I went to the doctor today. He thinks I may have IBS but not sure. He scheduled a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at the same time (on Sept 16, 2003). Is this a little long to wait??? I'm a bit concerned. He knows of my pain and I thought I'd get in there sooner.

Is this normal? Waiting so long? What are the chances of something being real bad and we 'didn't catch it in time'? I guess I'm worrying myself ragged and that isn't good for anyone with IBS.

They took some blood today and X-Rays are on July 15. Perhaps the time will fly and it'll be Sept 17 before I know it. Any comments anyone?

Old 07-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #2

adso HB User
Nothing happens soon with IBS

2 months is the same as I waited. But you will have 'some degree' of certainty after that time. There may still be some blood/urine/stool tests they may do as well to try rule out other problems.

Dont fret too much, try and relax for now, Im not a doctor (obviously!) but from what research I have done, there is no illness, syndrome or even cancer that is going to get worse overnight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi HwoodOnVine,

It's not unusual to have a long wait for a colonoscopy. But until then, it's a good idea not to worry about "what ifs". Its hard, I find to remember dates like that - when it comes around, it is such a surprise. (although I was in your situation - so eager to find out what it was that I couldn't wait.)

Nevertheless, I think you should call your gastro-enterologist and tell them that you would be interested in having your appointment scheduled earlier if they get a cancellation. I believe I had my appointment scheduled earlier because another patient cancelled and they called to ask if I was free to fill the spot.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
After looking at my records I had a endoscopy and a sigmoscopy. Two months was about right for the wait.
Did he give you a list of things to do before you have the operation. such as suppositories(?)

Has he scheduled additional blood tests as well?

Old 07-08-2003, 08:34 PM   #5

HwoodOnVine HB User
Thanks for responding everyone. I appreciate it. To answer some of your questions.....they didn't give me anymore blood test appts as of yet (and none that I'm aware of). I do have a list of everything that I need to do a week up until the day before my scheduled colonoscopy.

I find it odd that I am getting the colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. Is that normal procedure? Killing 2 birds with one stone?

I am on a waiting list for cancellations. I expressed my opinion on having to wait so long so they did put me on a list. I'd be there raring to go if I could get in sooner (and I hope I do).

You're right. There really isn't anything I can do but be patient. I'm so tired of this burning. He did put me on ZelNorm. After my first pill I had explosive - mostly water. It relieved some of the pain but not all of it. Expensive stuff. Fortunately my insurance covered 80% of it. I think it was $145 for a months supply. Hope it works.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 AM   #6

adso HB User
Talking

Yep doing both at once is a VERY GOOD IDEA!!

As you will no doubt find out, the tests themselves are absolutely nothing to worry about. Sure there are better things to do than have tubes stuck up your bum :P . But you get my drift.

However the prep stuff you have to drink is easily the most yukky part of the whole thing. So since you have to drink it once anyway, you may aswell get both tests done at once, since they both require the prepwork. I would have been really quite upset If Id been asked to go back twice and do the prep twice unnecessarily.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:56 AM   #7

HwoodOnVine HB User
Good. I have a feeling this group will help me a lot as far as the wait time. It'll kep me preoccupied and at the same time - talk with others like yourself who are going through what I'm going through. There's always some good in everything. Thank you!

Closed Thread