It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 AM   #1

sestus HB User
Post Pain after Conoloscopy?

Just got my first colonoscopy. All in all it wasn't all that bad (the prep was hell). I don't remember much of the procedure because of the drugs but I do remember that in the first few minutes I had a huge amount of pain. The nurse just shot a bit more drugs into my IV and I was out like a light.
The problem is that I am still feeling some soreness in my lower abdomen. Sometimes I get shooting pains coming from my anus as well. The only way I can describe it is by comparing it to the feeling after you throw-up (or have a huge muscle spasm).
There were no problems with my colon, my stool is pretty much back to the way it was - not black tarry stools. Pain is not constant but is worse when I move a lot.
I figured a forum full of IBS sufferers must have some experience with this procedure!

Thanks

Old 07-04-2003, 08:48 AM   #2

adso HB User
I didnt experience the shooting pains you refer too. But I did have one a few months back. The only pain I recall was when they twist and turn inside, nothing externally. What triggers the pain?

Did you say you had an IV in? Maybe my memory is hazy, but I dont recall having one in.

Lastly, I have also had a hemorrhoid since the test, thats a first (age 25), but its possibly not related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM   #3

sestus HB User
The pain seems to be diminishing. Usually picking up my son (2 years old) triggers it. I also think hemeroids (sp) have something to do with it. I would imagine after having a scope inserted your roids would be likely to act up.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:48 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
Thank you for your topic.

I experienced the same type of pain you experienced after my procedure. After the drugs wore off, and about a day after, I felt raw and there was definitely an uncomfortable feeling. It would occur if a sat for a long time or picked up a heavy item. I think the discomfort came from tensing up my abdominal muscles or groin muscles.

My pain lasted about a week

Old 07-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #5

sestus HB User
It has been a week since my procedure and the pain is pretty much gone. Thanks for the replies!!!

Old 07-09-2003, 05:13 AM   #6

HwoodOnVine HB User
Hi there. I was told I would feel a little discomfort about a week after the colonoscopy. How long did you have to wait for your colonoscopy? Just curious? I have to wait 2 months. Hope it flies by because this pain I have been in for 4 months now is getting to me. I didn't have health insurance so I started a job and had to wait 90 days. The wait was horrible now I find myself waiting once again.

Closed Thread