It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

lno HB User
Post Metamucil ?? for Harry

My question to you is: Would it be adviseable to take Metamucil an hour before and maybe 2 hours after any other medication? One pharmacist agreed this is best as it can draw the other drugs away from absorbtion. I was recently put on a statin for cholesteral lowering & I see that Metamucil, taken in large quantities, can also lower cholesteral. This is news worthy. However, who can take 6 - 3X daily??? WOW. My MD advised I take 2 capsules 2X daily to help control my D. This noon I took, yet another prescribed drug for Osteoperosis with an 8 oz. glass of water & had to run to the bathroom. Have had D the rest of the day. Blood taken yesterday for an update on readings. At any rate, if you could elaborate any on your knowledge of Metamucil leaching out other drugs or possibly the best time to take it, I would appreciate it. I do take prescription drugs at 6, 12, 5, 9 & 10, so I'm pretty much limited time wise in taking Metamucil. I also take Vitamins & Calcium so...it's tough to get old, don't ya know??? ho ho ho Gotta laugh, crying doesn't help. God Bless America

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

lno HB User
Thanks so much for your input Harry. I know you are very knowledgeable re:Metamucil & other things related to the digestive system. I have been plagued since Feb. with a lot a medical problems requiring additional RX drugs. So, then you get to wondering, what is all this "stuff" doing being mixed together. If you say you have been taking it w/meals along w/other RX drugs & not having any problems, then I don't think I'll be too conserned about taking it an hour or so between my drugs. I've read other posts from you re:all the years you've been burdened w/digestive/colon problems. You seem to have a handle on what works best for you. I have been trying the capsule Metamucil, you say Equate works for you. Is this the powdered mix? The capsules are so easy to get down if you don't like drinking that "gritty" stuff, suppose you get used to it huh? Thanks again for your info, have a good day. God bless you & yours. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

lno HB User
Thanks Katie G for your input. We all are so unique in our IBS "routine". It's good the Metamucil wafers work so well for you. I have not tried those. Just started faithfully on the capsule Metamucil. Tried before but thought they bloated me so badly, I just gave it up. But, now I'm ready to get serious about the whole thing. I just can't eat a thing(somedays) without running to the bathroom even before I'm finished eating w/the Big D. Then that sets the stage of gurgles, rumbles growling & D. I wish I could tolerate Antispasmodics to settle this down. Once you get it under control it seems to settle back down, but, if you are in a frenzy, it's horrible & you stay stuck!!!! Good luck to us all. Thanks again for your 2 cents, it was worth a million to me.GOD BLESS THE USA

Closed Thread