It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 09:11 PM   #1

qsph21 HB User
Post rumbling noises associated with pain

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS, and have been given Levbid as an antispasmodic. However, I still get rumbling noises. I wouldn't mind these if that was all they were, but when it happens it causes pain/discomfort, and instead of just 'hearing' the noise, I can 'feel' whatever it is that's rumbling. Usually it seems like the pain/discomfort associated with the rumbling/gurgling noises comes from the middle of my abdomen, above my navel.

Does anyone know what would cause this pain+noise combination? And if so, how I might alleviate it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

[This message has been edited by qsph21 (edited 07-10-2003).]

Old 07-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
The rumbles and pain is usually caused by gas spasms and cramping. The medication should relax the longer muscles in your transverse colon and result in less pain.

A homeopathic remedy is probably just as good--- Magnesia Phos--- you can buy it at a health food store. You may also need a probiotic supplement to re-balance your friend intestinal bacteria.

I suggest you also start eating yogurt several times daily --- It'll helps with calming your intestnes--- the calcium and the live bacteria cultures it contains--- I like Stonyfield Farm brand the best. A good probiotic supplement is "Probiotica" and PB-8. You can buy Probiotica from Wal Mart. You will be amazed that you'll tell a difference in just 2 doses.

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #3

qsph21 HB User
Ok, thanks...I may try that. So you're saying that it's not abnormal (for people with IBS) to have pain and discomfort [i]directly[/] associated with the rumbling/gurgling? I've read how the noises are factors, and that the pain is from cramps/diarrhea/constipation, but not actually from the noises.

Also, when you say I may need a med to help restore the friendly bacteria, do you mean I might need to do that only if I use the magnesia phos, and not my current anticholinergic/antispasmodic (Levbid. Thanks a bunch...

P.S. I'm so glad there's a place where I can talk with people have had similar experiences or have extensive knowledge...makes me less anxious. I'm relatively young (16), and my brother thinks I'm a hypochondriac because I was initially worried I might have had Crohn's (I'm at elevated risk from family history), and the doctors also seem to think the symptoms are in my head...

Old 07-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

lno HB User
Good info. I,too, have so much tummy noise & it sometimes hurts bad!!! Then the D starts!!. Do you have diahhrea? Harry, can you take all the probiotics/etc. you listed above along w/Metamucil & RX drugs? Good advise for you from Harry. Try it.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Crohn's is a bowel disease and not a syndrome or disorder but it is usually inherited and can be managed with proper care.

Your intestines are working all the time and as you eat the food and liquid moves though your intestines and It can readily make nioses but if your intestines are working properly it should not be that loud.

Most people that eat todays diet that contains all sorts of additives, preservatives, spices, have taken antibiotics, just live in a polluted environment--- just get the friendly bacteria in their intestines out of balance and don't digest or process food properly. We just eat too much processed food with too much salt, sugar and other processed food that does not build health.

I am not a health food person but I know people that don't eat pizza, or any fast food of any kind.

About 20% of us have IBS and it's numbers are growing because of a poor diet that lacks nutrition. Drugs I don't think are the answer---- I think proper minerals, vitamins, supplements and nutrients help alot.

God Bless---Harry

Old 07-10-2003, 09:03 AM   #6

qsph21 HB User
Yeah...but the problem for me (right now at least) is that I don't know what, if any food in my diet, is causing my IBS. It just started with cramping and then diarrhea about three or so months ago, and I hadn't changed anything about the way I ate, or anything else for that matter...which is why I thought it might have been a disease or inflammation or something..

Old 07-10-2003, 09:09 AM   #7

adso HB User
I think the growling, burgling sounds are just an accepted part of the process. Usually the tummy is fairly upset during an IBS episode too. Some of will have associated vomitting during the episode as a result.

If your sure its coming from above your naval, then it has to be your stomach making the noise. All the pain however should be well below there (somewhere in the colon), although its difficult to pin-point.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:17 AM   #8

adso HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by qsph21:
Yeah...but the problem for me (right now at least) is that I don't know what, if any food in my diet, is causing my IBS. It just started with cramping and then diarrhea about three or so months ago, and I hadn't changed anything about the way I ate, or anything else for that matter...which is why I thought it might have been a disease or inflammation or something..
Not diagnosing what you have, but I think about everyone here with IBS could name some foods they once ate with gay abandon, but nowadays wouldnt touch with a ten-foot pole! Whether your tolerance is dropping or the IBS grows worse... im not sure.

I have the same diet now I had a few years back (bar a few key IBS triggers), and I used to be as regular as clockwork, with no painful spasms. Nowadays its a different story completely.

Old 07-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi qsph,

Far be it from my intention to confuse you, but IBS is a very weird disorder. As far as eating is concerned, sometimes I used to only tolerate the worst diet on the planet, while at other times, only a very scientifically "good" diet would have done. Sometimes, everything just lay somewhere in between.

Although, I might be an exception in that I used to suffer from severe IBS and now have it under control with meditation and therefore am eating almost anything I choose with not too much of a penalty. (painwise).

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread