It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Post IBS or because of my eating habits?

Hello,

I am a vegetarian and eat a lot of apples, I also eat a lot of bread. I eat usually only little things at a time, but at frequent times a day, and I often eat something late at night. I am a bit underweight.

That said, I would like to ask, could this account for my symptoms, or could they be IBS?

- my stools are often very STICKY, really staining the toilet. Kind of dark and soft. I have to go to the bathroom very often.

- I often feel like I can't get it all out. And I'll soon have to go again.

- I often have gas, and specifically at the left upper part of the intestines, if that makes sense. When it is at its worst I can make my belly make gurgling, belching sounds just by moving it. Like there is a big amount of gas stuck somewhere.

- As I said, I usually eat only small meals. But if I eat a big meal, and especially, something fatty/greasy, I often have to go t the bathroom right away, like it goes right through me, and a lot!

Any input?

Kathrin

Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Hi Kathrin,
As you know being a vegetarian is a real balancing act. Regardless of the choices you make --- you have to make sure you get enough of the right kind of nutrients to be healthy and if your intestines are not working right then your life is not the quality that you want.

For your bowels to work properly you have to get enough of fiber both insoluble and soluble types. You have to eat foods that are soluble fiber like potatoes, root veggies like carrots& turnips, grains like rice, and you have to make sure you get enough protein from beans, peas and nuts.

Gas is usually caused by poor digestion that lacks the proper enzymes and intestinal bacteria --- to be a vegetarian you certainly have to be very knowledgeable about vitamins( B-12), minerals and all nutrients. If you don't know then your life is going to be NOT GOOD because --- "Poor health is a big price to pay for lack of knowledge"

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #3

maggie39 HB User
Hi
Your symptoms sound like they could be a digestive problem rather than IBS.
Read my post from the other day titled "Mine was fructose"... I was practically a vegetarian too. It seemed the "healthier" I ate (which for me meant more fruit, vegis, beans, nuts, which all contain fructose, and very little meat) I would get sicker and sicker. Now I eat "lousy" (lots of meat) but I feel MUCH better! Your problem may or may not be fructose, but could be something you're eating and can't digest (any of the sugars would be most likely... fructose, rafinose, lactose). The sugars, if undigested tend to ferment in the gut and hence the gas, and they tend to suck water into the gut, making watery stools.
It might be worth trying (although be prepared to give it a while - if you've been a strict vegetarian for a while it could be a bit of a shock to the system)

Maggie

[This message has been edited by maggie39 (edited 07-03-2003).]

Old 07-03-2003, 07:31 AM   #4

maggie39 HB User
Oh, by the way, I meant to also mention that apples and pears are VERY high in fructose.

Maggie

Old 07-04-2003, 08:52 AM   #5

adso HB User
I think ive noticed things like breads that contain carbohydrates are common amongst IBS sufferers (although probably common amongst all humans).

But do you suffer any pain when you have the gas build-ups? Or is it more the uncomfortablity of it?

Old 07-06-2003, 08:59 PM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
In response to your post,
My sysmptoms occur from bread, which I have not eaten in a couple of years. But it is not the carbohydrate contain, becuase I can digest rice fine, it is the grain or gluten that causes the problem
The gas that is produced is very comfortable in the initial states that becomes very painful.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Wow, thanks for all the insightful answers!

The gas is SOMETIMES painful, but most often it is just uncomfortable.

The last few days I haven't had a problem, I think I should really try to remember if I ate anything differently!!

Again, thanks!

Kathrin

Old 07-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #8

Dai HB User
Hi Kathrin74,

I am not a vegetarian but I used to eat a lot like you before my IBS dx: veggies, fruit, wholegrains... I was the healthiest eater in the world. And I made sure I got all the vitamins too. But I don't think a sensitive stomach can't take all that roughage.

All I have to say, to add to the others, is that
you should try to base your diet on soluble fiber for a while and see how it goes, by that I mean potatoes, pasta, rice, bananas.

Have nothing but soluble fiber on empty stomach. That is how I finally got my stomach back "in order".

Avoid apples for a while, they can be troublesome.

If you want to know more about soluble fiber, you might like to do a Google search.

[This message has been edited by Dai (edited 07-14-2003).]

Closed Thread