It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

Azeral777 HB User
Question IBS?

Hey, I'm new to this board and the forum in general. I've been sick for a while now, and I'm wondering if this may be it. At first, I thought Fibroymalgia, but I seem to lack the constant pain they suffer. I've been jumping back and forth between constipation (2-4 days) and diarrhea for a while now. Anxiety seems to trigger it, as does food I'm not used to. Certain beverages (Mountain Dew Livewire especially) seem to also trigger it. This was to the point where I couldn't go to school for almost an entire semester, because every time I went I either started getting nauseous or the sudden need to have a bowel movement. Frankly, it looks like I'm going to have to get my GED now. Anyway, the diarrhea hasn't shown up for a few weeks, and things were going well in general, though I still seem to be mildly constipated. A few trips to the bathroom a day with the urge but inability to have a bowel movement. In the past few days, off and on, I've been having anal relaxation troubles. I'd attempt to have a bowel movement, and everything would begin, but I can't seem to get my muscles to relax and let it happen. As a result, not much manages to get out. Mild to decently strong abdominal pain occurs occasionally, usually relieved by a bowel movement, and it's more of a general pain than a localized/sharp pain. My appetite, as well, has severely decreased. I can barely finish a TV dinner (sometimes, I can't!) and I went to McDonald's and couldn't finish the burger. My stomach's been generally weak all my life, as I tend to vomit if I eat too late or if I actually fill up (not excessive food, just enough to be full). My apologies for the long and rambling post, but I haven't gone to a doctor yet (I'm hoping that, since it's been getting better, it'll just stop). Over the last few days, I've been having regular bowel movements and the like, with the occasional inability to relax. So, I'm hoping for the best. Any advice? Oh, and I've definitely suffered from the 'which end first?' syndrome, characterized by severe nausea and diarrhea at the same time.

- Dom

(Heh. Accidentally posted this on the Men's Sexual Health forum. Managed to delete with only four views, though.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #2

andyM HB User
First thing I would do is take a look at your diet. Just from your post, I would eliminate the soda (mountain Dew), fast food (mcdonalds burger), and TV dinner (filled with all sorts of CRAP).

Diet can really exacerbate IBS!

Old 07-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

Azeral777 HB User
I've worked on removing the soda and fast food, but it's kind of hard for me to remove TV dinners. I can't cook, and my home is a semi-unconventional one. Dishes haven't been done in months, things like that. We just...don't cook. Fast food or microwavables, really. I'll look into it, though. Thanks for the help. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi Azeral,

It just sounds in general like you don't live in a very healthy environment, judging from what you just said about dishes etc. You might try changing some of that - you never know what could be growing there. Have you eaten any wild mushrooms lately?

I believe it would be difficult to give you advice that would be given to other IBS sufferers, as no one including yourself is really sure about what you are suffering from. Although I must say the symptoms resemble IBS... Still as with fibromyalgia, that may not be it.

I would have to agree with andyM about the good diet for starters.

If you look at some of the other posts here, you might also get some tips to hep you with either constipation or diarrhea, although its difficult to tell you exactly what to do, because things are usually described for people who swing to one side of the pendulum (ie either diarrhea or constipation but not both in an unpredictable manner).

Well, I hope that things just "go away" for you. But if you feel it is bad and its in for the long haul, the best advice would be to visit a doctor.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread