It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #1

waves8 HB User
Exclamation intestine noises?

Does anybody else have noises coming from their lower stomach, down below the navel? I have really LOUD noises coming from I guess my intestines all the time. They are not coming from my stomach from being hungry, but from my intestines. It's very embarassing because it's so loud and disturbing. I'm a christian and I go to church and this has kept me out of church and various everyday activities and i want it to stop! I have not been diagnosed with IBS, but I have not been checked for it either. My dad has it though.

What should I do to stop this? I'm only 15. Please somebody tell me what to do. I cant sit in any quiet places anymore. Please help....anybody, please...

Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Your stomach and intestines making noises is perfectly normal and it is called bowel sounds.

Not a lot you can do about it I am afraid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I found the following for you. As Sarah has said these noises are normal.........

The rumbling or growling sounds of the digestive tract, which scientists call by the very expressive word borborygmi, represent the muscular contractions and expansions of peristalsis, the process that moves the contents of the stomach and intestines onward and downward. Some such noise is normal; its absence when a doctor uses a stethoscope can indicate an intestinal blockage.

The noises are softer or louder depending on the strength and speed of the contractions and on what is in the tract, a variable mix of solids, liquids and gas, both swallowed air and the waste products of intestinal bacteria.

When the stomach is normally full of food and liquid, the noises tend to be muted, but when the contractions are strong, especially when a bubble of gas is moving through the digestive tract or when the stomach is empty of solids, the noise can seem deafening. The contractions are also exaggerated and noisy in some gastrointestinal diseases.

Old 07-16-2003, 03:23 AM   #4

Kerry B HB User
waves8
i understand completely how u feel, i also suffer frequently from very loud noises coming from my intestines. like u i avoid quiet places for fear of embarrassment that everyone can hear these noises!
as yet ive not found a quick fix for these noises but changing my diet and taking supplements...acidophilus, evening primrose oil, calcium and a multivitamin have helped with my general ibs symptoms and so with the noises. i have linked, though, the noises with anxiety (seem to be worse when i know im going to a quiet place ie a doctors waitin room) and its also been suggested by my dr that ive become over sensitive to these noises and that not everyone can hear them as loud as i think they are!
only bit of advice i can give is dont avoid, as hard as it is, the places u normally go as the list could grow and grow til u no longer leave the house!
i hope something ive said helps
kerry

Closed Thread