It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #1

Sarah101 HB User
Post Suffering so bad-doctor so insensitive

I have had stomach pains for 2 weeks now. I have tried to ignore it, but last weekend it got so bad that I went to the Er at the hospital. They did some tests and determined that it either was gastritis or IBS. I have had IBS for over 20 years, but it has not acted up for over 1 year. They sent me home with pritonix and pepcid and told me to see my GI dr. Well, I did, and after examing me he told me that it was a terrible case of IBS and gave me the new med. called zelboron, bentyl, carrafate, and ativan. I already take ativan, but the others are just so much. He also told me to see a therapist to see why I am getting these "attacks". I was so mad and walked out fuming. I had had an endoscopy and colonoscopy with him 2 years ago for the same complaints. He probably thought that I was a "hysterical female" coming in with the same problem. I asked him to do some more tests and he told me that I don't need them since the symptoms are the same. But, I just am afraid that maybe it is something else and he is just sluffing me off. My question is,- how do we know when it is something more serious. How many times do we have to be scoped? I have done this twice already and am so tired of it. I do not want to start running to new doctors again like I did years ago. So, I am turning to this board for advice. Do any of you get any relief from the meds that I mentioned. I am scared to take the zelboron because it is so new. I am just terrible with medicine. Has any one tried it? Sorry to be so wordy, but , needless to say, I am upset over this . thanks for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 10:32 PM   #2

qsph21 HB User
I have no experience with that particular drug, but Levbid worked wonders for me...might want to request that to try it out. I was curious though why your doctor prescribed protonix...it's an acid inhibitor which usually is only used for duodenal/gastric ulcers or GERD.

You said you've been scoped before, have you ever done the upper GI tests, where they give you the shake to drink then take x-rays?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #3

Dai HB User
Have you tried Ispaghula husk? It is more natural and works better than any medicines.

I'm sorry to hear how insensitive your doctor was. Some doctors just don't understand their patients, that they are in pain, and that also pain should be treated.
How do we know if it is something else? We just have to trust our own judgement I suppose, and if we are not certain, go to the doctor. Even if we have IBS it doesn't mean we mustn't go to the doctor! However, if you've been scoped 2 years ago and everything was normal, I doubt you need similar examinations now. Maybe you still should consider finding another doctor.

When doctors fail in what they're supposed to do they think it is between OUR ears http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
Gee I completely understand the situation. When my first symptoms flared up I went to a doctor and just concluded he did not want to pursue and indepth examination so I switched doctors. I can completely understand the apprehension of "training" a new doctor.
I also was prescribed Levbid and it did work well.
I have been requested to take it when I feel that I know that I may encounter a situation where food is questionable.
I have never been asked to take four medications simultaneously.

However, if you have a flare-up especially if it is after a length of "normalcy" I would start keeping a diary of your eating patterns include time, symptoms The type of bowel movement and lengtth of recovery time. I would take these to the doctor and discuss this throuoghly.

Closed Thread