It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Post pain questions

well, ive had all the tests done, scopes and stuff just to rule out everything and was told itw as ibs(d)... no ulcers, anything like that..... i don't take any meds, b/c id rather not rely on medication... well just the other nite i had a bad attack of pain.. i mean so bad i can't even sit or lay down.. i have to pace back and forth... its like this feeling i can't describe below my waist... not often do i get this, but its enough where i wouldn't wanna experience it on my own... (this fall going to college)... do you think a doctor would prescribe PAIN KILLERS, where i could take these when this type of pain comes... i don't know.... if he knew my history and i wasn't just using it to get them...
also antidepp. didn't do anything..... so....? advice..

[This message has been edited by bulletinboard25 (edited 07-14-2003).]

Old 07-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #2

andyM HB User
I would highly doubt any reputable doctor is going to prescribe you pain killers (narcotics). You can too easily come to rely on them and become addcited...no matter how valid your pain is. IBS is not soemthing that a doctor would usually feel comfortable giving pain killers for, since it is a chronic thing (rather than say a back injury that is acute and temporary). The best you will prob get is an antispasmodic like bentyl or levbid.

Try some of the suggestions on this site: diet changes, probiotics, etc.

Wish I could be of more help. Sorry. I know how you feel. I begged my doc for pain killers and he said no way. In a way, I know he is right. But in those moments when you have horrid pain, you wish you could get your hands on something.

Be well,
A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You need to treat the causes rather than just the symptoms and it is only then that you can achieve a cure.

Taking pain killers just masks your symptoms and only deals with your symptoms, pain - rather than getting to the cause of the pain. You need to find the cause and I would strongly suggest that you see an ND (Naturopathic doc) who will be able to help you more with this.

Look at your diet and try Metamucil, Acidophilis and there are natural pain killers such as chamomile and peppermint that can be taken in tea form.

Try this and you might have some success. Filling yourself full of pain killers is definitely not the answer here. Pain killers also make you more constipated, thus adding to your problems.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
alright... to your replies.. thanks, i didn't think so either... but i mean there are times where say i'm alone, i'm not gonna wanna go through it, and wanna mask it for the time being... but i know about pain killers.....

since you gave me some replies, could you go in more depth.... probiotics... what are these, and what will these do for me...?
what about the peppermint, and i forget the other form of tea you said i could take? natural pain killers??
what about a good form of calcium....

the random attacks are what scare me..... the day to day living is alright.. its just those days that you can't explain, where you feel like you did everything right w/ your diet.... it just happens anyways....

thanks again, and please explain further.....

Old 07-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi BulletinBoard,

Pain killers for the most part don't really work in the case of IBS - I've taken Tylenol 3 which should technically be quite strong... But to no avail. It lasted for all of 15 minutes... and the length of time I had pain relief reduced over a period of once in a while usage.

Probiotics refers to acidophilus (sp?) caps or yogourt. Either one is good for you. They contain many bacteria which help the intestines digest food. You apparently lose a lot of this good bacteria if you suffer from episodes of diarrhea. It also helps the soothe the stomach. (I believe stonefields farm yogourt keeps the bacteria in the yogourt when they make it - Just make sure the yogourt has not had the bacteria destroyed, which is the case for most commercially produced yogourts - you could ask your nearest health food store). Yogourt also contains as much calcium as the milk it was made from - without the lactic acid that so many are unable to digest.

Peppermint tea and Chamomile teas are found to have soothing effects on the intestines because of their ability to alleviate pain to a certain extent. You could always try some.

Calcium is good for you (your bones, etc...) The body requires calcium in your diet on a daily basis in quite the quantity. Calcium in its plain form however, is a strong constipant. It reduces the water content of your stool and so it is usually accompanied by zinc and magnesium. It is therefore a good idea to take calcium supplements (without magnesium or zinc) if you suffer from diarrhea. For more effect, you can even powder it.

Well, I hope this helps you somewhat.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
hey thanks for the reply, i'll go to my healthfood store sometime thsi week and look into it....

so there are capsule forms of probiotics? healthfood store might have these?

and these teas, are they sold as peppermint and the other one??

i was taking calcium w/ d for awhile.. then i started the one w/ calcium mag and zinc.... so i should just stick to plain form... ok
i didn't know that

when is the best time to take these things? thanks a lot for your help

definitely good to know ppl actually care

Old 07-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #7

cuteviolette HB User
Hi, I hope I can be of some help. Lately my symptoms have been getting worse. I took some diet pills and I think that irritated my stomach. Does anyone know anything about FIBERTHIN diet pills???? PLease respond if you do, tx!

Ok, so I have also just been really stressed and that causes the pain that I think you are going through. My pain is in the lower back, back. That is a severe pain I wish no one would ever have to go through. It's like the pain will not go away, regardless if you sit, lay, stretch...you name it I tried it, and the pain won't go away!! But you know what worked for me? Well, I got one of those "Homedics" the cushions with heat in them, It's like a stress reliever, I just have to say..THANK YOU! It kicked in in about 20 minutes (it has to be really heated up) the warmth just relaxes you. Try not to stress about certain things because that just makes the pain even worse.

You should also drink a lot of water and take long walks,taking long baths and listening to music helped me too....Make sure to not eat red meat, milk, chocolate or any of those products that will make you gassy, IT HURTS! I hope I have been a somewhat help.

Closed Thread