It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

liam's mom HB User
Question how do you deal?

hey all...
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif
just wanting to know how you deal with your particular situation with ibs....
who do you talk to about it in your own lives, if anyone? i don't really disclose much about this to my husband. what do you do when you have to go somewhere, do you get anxious like me about something happening?
how does this issue make you feel emotionally? do you feel like sometimes you're living in your own personal hell like me? my stress level navigates my ibs it seems, and i don't know what to do.. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif
sorry just feeling a little defeated today...

joanie

[This message has been edited by liam's mom (edited 07-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by liam's mom (edited 07-20-2003).]

Old 07-20-2003, 12:38 PM   #2

CLEL HB User
Unhappy

I am currently in the process of trying to change my frame of mind. I am undiagnosed right now, but I'm pretty sure it is ibs.
I am just trying to go on with my life, because it has been months now, and I have missed out on so many things because I was to scared to leave the safety of my own house and my own washroom. I am finding that the less I think about it when I am out, the less my symptoms bother me.
The way I look at it is, if there is a washroom near-by where you are going, then go for it. You cannot live your life around where there is a washroom. I also find that the more I worry about it, the worse it is.
Sorry for not being that much of a help, but all of us here are going through the same thing, and we cannot let it ruin our social lives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

liam's mom HB User
Talking

thanks for your response. i know what you mean. i think sometimes when i am hypersensitive to the ibs, it's worse. go figure.....
i try not to over think it, but sometimes i can't help it.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #4

JanettoB HB User
For us constipated people, we can take a laxative to make us go if we are away from home for several days.

But a person that has the diarrhea.....that's another story. For those of you that do have the diarrhea, make sure that you are not "gluten intolerant" (Celiac Disease). Gluten is in soooooooo many products....not just breads/wheat/oat products. Read labels and try going "gluten free" for several weeks and see if this helps. Actually, it might take even longer to see the results if you are actually "gluten intolerant" since your "villi"(?) have to grow back after being destroyed by the gluten/diarrhea. REad up on "Celiac Disease" "Celiac Sprue"

I have a friend that lost 30 pounds and was skeletal before finally taking a hard look at her diet and reading labels. She has gained her weight back and is doing well. Janetto

Old 07-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You should not be taking laxatives to make you go. They are habit forming and are bad for you. There are lots of more natural ways to help constipation rather than taking laxatives.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
Just know that you are not alone. When I was undergoing tests, I did not leave my house except to work for about 6 months, it was devastating becuase so many things can go wrong and you do not want to be far away from a bathroom you can trust.

As for going out, I can completely understand, I have a battery of tests that I always ask and even then it is sometimes difficult to eat out.

But you have to take stock in what affects you. You may have foods that can trigger your system such as wheat or milk. These can develop over time so it is best to know what your system can handle and then you can be proactive in reducing its effects.

However, in my opinion, I would at least tell my husband, it would allow him to understand what you are going through and help you not feel isolated. I held back and unfortunately ate a meal that produced a severe BM and fatigue. After I felt better I explained it to them and they have been very helpful afterwards.

What are your symptoms? Are you tracking what you are eating and how it makes you feel.

I hope this helps and believe me this happens to all of us.

Good Luck

Old 07-20-2003, 07:11 PM   #7

JanettoB HB User
Sarah, What I was trying to say is that if a person with constipation/IBS is away from home for a week and is out of wack with their diet because they are staying in a hotel or staying at someone's house, they can always take a laxative to make them go til they get back into their routine. IBS/diarrhea people cannot always be controlled by diarrhea medications.....and this can be devasting for them!!!! The fear of diarrhea running down a leg in a mall........ I know, I have a friend like this!!!!!!!

Sarah....what I would like for you to know about constipation/IBS.....is that not all people are alike in controlling this condition. The ONLY THING that I have found that keeps me regular is Kellogg's All Bran Extra Fiber from the U.S. We have Kelloggs All Bran here in Venezuela.....and I am an American living in Venezuela, from Louisiana. I am under a doctor's treatment at present. He knows that Metamucil does not work for me and the Kelloggs All Bran from here does not work for me. He put me on some pellets twice a day (about a month ago), which are actually the same derivative as Metamucil. It worked the first few days, then I started with the same "rabbit pellet" IBS/spastic colon problems.

Sometimes, people like me have to looks at the pro's and con's of laxatives as well. As a result of constipation, I am on the start of a rectal prolapse, huge stretched out colon, and I have hemorrhoids and I might also be working on a rectocele...especially since I have had a hysterectomy. I think it maybe would have been better to take a laxative most of my life and not come down with all of these surgical conditions that I now have....and some that have no repair like a stetched out colon as seen by a barium contrast.

You cannot imagine the things I have done to try to control this constipation....changes in diet, loose bran, Metamucil, water water and more water til I cannot leave the house.

I will be visiting my family for several months starting in November.....my suitcase will be filled with All Bran Extra-Fiber when I return!!!!!!!!

So don't be so quick to judge........we are definitely not all alike.

Saludos...best wishes....Janetto

Old 07-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hey Janetto,

I'm curious as to whether you've ever tried taking a quarter of a pill of Bile salts with meals to help you with your constipation. They're over the counter and quite cheap - or you might borrow a pill from someone who has had their gall bladder removed, and requires it on a regular basis.

It is a natural alternative to a laxative. If you do try it let me know how it goes for you.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 07-20-2003, 09:29 PM   #9

unlucky7 HB User
It can be difficult. I suffer from IBS-C consistently and IBS-D during monthly cycles (sorry if that is too descriptive) Honestly, I have tried to ignore it. I have been dealing with IBS likely since my childhood but was diagnosed around a year to 1 1/2 yrs ago. At first, I took a sharp diet regemin change and it did begin to help and my bouts decreased. I slowly digressed into my old habits and the bouts would be sporadic. Lucky I have not incurred the upper chest pains but IBS-C has been severe lately and IBS-D has lighten up, even during cycles.

I have not spoken with anyone about it. My mom, and two other family members know but we have not discussed it since my initial diagnosis. Its hard for people who do not suffer to deal with it; they just do not understand. I have opted not too talk about it. It appears they view it as overdramatization when clearly I could be in pain or stress.

What has gotten worse is my ability to have bowel movement outside of my home. Even at family members house, it is very hard task. Now, this could merely be my mind but I swear most of the time I never think about it until I'm at the commode somewhere else and realize I cannot go. I never have pre-thoughts about it, at this point but for some reason it is incredibly hard.

I hate the way some medical professionals right off IBS has a mental thing versus a true problem. Before I was diagnosed, this systems flared up just as bad, if not worse and I definitely did not think about IBS - I had not even heard of it. I think I am babbling at this point. The main idea is I honestly feel like I tried to forget about it but my bowels give me reminders whenever it feels like it.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi all. I do a lot of reading about IBS - many good books at amazon.com or Barnes & Noble. This board has also helped me TREMENDOUSLY with support. If your family doesn't suffer from IBS, they will not understand what you're going through, even if they are supportive. So I took it upon myself to learn as much as I could about IBS-D through internet searches and reading books on the topic, and being willing to try different things to see what works for me.

This message board is a wonderful arm of support, and has helped me through some very dark days. It's understandable you need to vent - that's what we're all here for. To share and learn from each other.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Closed Thread