It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 03:02 AM   #1
(male)

Bryl HB User
Post Need some advice

I seem to have sufred from this for years and why i have not demanded a colonoscopy i will never know.
My doc seems to have diagnosed IBS without a colonoscopy being done.
This is going to sound awful but about 3 years ago i had a scare where i thought i had contracted a HIV..as i waited out the window period and it came back negative (thank god) but during this time I had some serious diarrhea that just got worse and worse. It really was a nightmare..cramps etc.
This seemed to ease off after a while but now i get it in flare ups. I went back to the doc again about a year later as i was finding blood on the toilet papaer and he di an external examination...blood tests, stool sample etc then said it was probably due to the about of stools i was passing that i had an internal fissure and that was causing the blood. He gave me anti spasmotics and immodium which helped.
I have just had another flare up and its lasted now for a week and a half already. I am worried about work and under a bit of stress but i always get the poain in the morning.

I wake up and everything is fine (i dont wake in the night with it)...then as soon as i start thinking 'oh no i am going to get an attack' the intense stomach pains start and i have to run to the loo and it is just water. I get lots of gas...i get awful gurgling in my stomach and top left of my abdomen. Its just really getting me down. I think maybe i need to change my diet.
No coubt hopefull it will go away again soon but this flare up is really getting me down. EVen when my stools arent watery i have mucous in them sometimes. Also the current stools really smell and so does the gas.

Do you think i should demand a colonoscopy or sit with the diagnosis of IBS. I am not so sure anymore??

Any help would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 04:51 AM   #2

adso HB User
Doctors (I think wisely) try to avoid putting patients through colonscopies unless it has become a longterm problem. Basically because the prep is a very VERY unpleasant procedure and the test is expensive too.

However if youre symptoms keep reoccuring, you may end up without a choice.

The colonscopy could rule out a bunch of things. If they find nothing at all, and they cant think of anything else, then they call it IBS.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:41 AM   #3
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
Yes, I think you should insist on a colonoscopy.
For your own peace of mind, as well as the very good chance of nailing down the problem. It could be IBD?

Do bear in mind, IBS and stomach disorders are very difficult to diagnose. I went to 5 GI doctors before I got a solid diagnosis. 5!

You might want to consider going for a second opinion to another GI doctor. Done all the time. Insurance
will pay.
O

Closed Thread