It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 09:53 AM   #1

HwoodOnVine HB User
Post GI came back neg. Will colonoscopy do it?

Hi again everyone. Well, I still have the burning pain on my right side of my abdomen. Hurts mostly when I sit. Last week I drank 2 cups of Barium and had an Upper GI done. The test results were fine. I guess that good news was in a way bad news as I wished they would have found something that would cause this pain that I have been dealing with for 4 months now. I understand that X-ray looked at the liver, appendix, gall bladder and checked for hernias and ulcers. I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy scheduled for Aug 13. Will this give a much better look at my insides? If this comes back negative for anything, do I have to start from the top again? Of course this doesn't add to my stress and if it is IBS.....it's irritating that as well. Thanks for your replies.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:34 AM   #2

adso HB User
Im not even sure what a GI is. But yes they will do the endoscopy & colonoscopy together. They will probably find nothing (which is ideally what you want because they are looking for the more serious diseases).

But your right, you may well be left with no real idea of what it could be (assuming it is IBS u have). But theres no point being stressed about this, youre on the path to finding out what it is. If its IBS youll have to look at dietary issues.

One positive about the endo/colonoscopy though... after you go a day and a half without food, and 12 hours without liquid, that first meal afterward is seriously the best tasting feast u will ever have! I went to my favourite portugese chicken burger shop and downed my meal in around 4minutes....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 05:44 AM   #3

HwoodOnVine HB User
A GI is a Gastro Intestinal (GI) X-Ray. You drink Barium and then you go in and lie down and they take some shots. There's an Upper & A Lower. I just had an Upper GI.

Now you ate that burger real fast.....I hope you didn't get sick afterwards. I, ideally would like them to find something. There's no reason why they wouldn't as I am always feeling this pain.

We'll just have to wait and see. Take care for now.

Jimmy

Old 07-24-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
The endo and colonoscopy will let you know about the inside of your colon and possibly your small intestine. However, these could show up as normal and you could still have IBS.

If these tests are normal, They may want to do an ultrasound to get a better idea of what is going on. In some cases, they may do an exploratory laparoscopy, where they go in with a scope and peak around at the organs in your abdomen. Have they ruled out gallbladder? Even though the pain from this is usually on the upper right side, it could be the lower right side. Anyway, at the end of these tests you will know about the inside of your digestive system, but if that is not the answer they may need to do additional tests.

I know it gets frustrating, I actually went through about 6 months of different tests. But hang in there and hopefully you will get a diagnosis soon and be able to treat the pain and get back to your normal life. Maybe your doctor could give you something for pain in the meantime, mine did. Good luck.

Adso - how did you even eat after your test?! I was sooo drowsy that I went home and slept till the next day!

Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #5

adso HB User
Hehe, no I didnt get sick, and to be honest I didnt get sick for some time after, I have a feeling its not the worst idea in the world to have your entire insides totally cleansed and start again.

I guess what I was getting at, was if it is IBS, they will find nothing, thats all. Theres nothing physical, no cancer, no disease, no nothing. And although I COMPLETELY understand your desire to find something, if they dont, you really can breathe a big sigh of relief.

If the pain never stops (I assumed it was after eating), maybe its not IBS. Lets wait for your test, before speculating and just causing more worry =)

Old 07-24-2003, 06:44 PM   #6

HwoodOnVine HB User
That's what I will do. In 20 days, we'll hopefully find out something.

The GI X-Rays check the gall bladder, liver, & appendix. Everything came back clean.

I have this feeling they will find something when I have the colonoscopy and endoscopy. At least I'm hoping.....

I'll fill you in later. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:00 AM   #7

Vandamme82 HB User
When they did that barium, they can tell if you have inflammation of the upper part of your gut to rule out crohns disease etc. A colonoscopy will definately rule out disease in that way. They'll probabl diagnose you with spastic colon or ibs. That's the way they do things it seems. Then you have to somehow try to tackle it once you know that you do indeed have ibs.

All the best. Let us know how it goes.

Vandamme82.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:40 AM   #8

HwoodOnVine HB User
From my understanding (by reading comments in this forum) - doctor's easily diagnose it as IBS when they don't see much wrong. I hope that's just not throwing the towel in because if the problems persist after watching what I eat regularly, then I'll most definitely have to get another opinion which would therefore mean more X-Rays and more Barium? At least I'll have a clean state of mind if they don't find any tumors..... Perhaps knowing that will lessen my worries some therefore bringing the IBS (if that's what it is) to a minimum (at least for a while).

The burning that I have (especially when I'm sitting) is overwhelming. It feels like someone is pressing heat on my lower right abdomen. I'm determined that these next tests will find something. If not.....oh my God!

Closed Thread