It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 06:20 PM   #1

samlin HB User
Unhappy sugar and ibs

Hi, I'm new here and excited to find a place where people know what its like. My question: does anyone know if consumoing sugar or carbs affects symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi Samlin,

I believe the experience is different for different people. Most of us keep a diary where we document the most recent foods we've been eating - and we try to change things to see what affects us and what doesn't. Of course, with IBS, this is an ongoing process, since things are liable to change without notice.

In my case I don't seem to be affected by those particular foods. In fact I treat IBS very differently, so I don't really count.

Cheers, Raju.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 06:40 PM   #3

Frustrated1 HB User
I have found it depends on how much sugar. For me my symptoms are aggravated when sugar is present. It is similar to people who become hyperactive or nervous. My theroy is that the sugar stimulates the gut and if an allergin is present speeds up a BM, for me this would be wheat or oats.

Brown Rice which is a good source of carbs does not affect most people with IBS and is generally safe.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:35 PM   #4

samlin HB User
Talking

Thanks guys. I think sugar probably does make my ibs worse- if i can teach myself to avoid it for a while i guess it will become obvious one way or the other.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #5

adso HB User
I was just doing some net browsing, and found an entire page devoted to people who have issues with Artificial Sugar, such as NutraSweet (substance is called 'Aspartame’).

They say this has been an IBS trigger, or makes them feel unwell. Might be worth trying these diet colas & sugars, but for some people 'real' sugar is best, of course, kept in moderation.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:58 AM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
Asperstame, Splenda and other artifical sweeteners are alright, but moderation is the key. However, I like natural sugar or raw sugar. However, if you drink colas, and other fruit drinks such as Sanapple, you would be surprised at the amount of sugar in these products. Diet/caffenine free colas are what is needed. The double hit of caffeine and sugar is sometimes too much for my system. It just takes time getting used to the reduction

Old 07-25-2003, 05:02 AM   #7

Vandamme82 HB User
Excessive consumption of artificial sweetener can contribute to loose stools. There are actually warning on some packs of chewing gum that this can happen.

Vandamme82.

You can edit your messages---Mod4

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 07-25-2003).]

Old 07-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #8

adso HB User
Lightbulb

I also found some more research on digestion, water & sugar today. I believe it is partially opinion and partial fact:

Quote:
Also remember that sugar is hydroscopic, or water-seeking. That's why a high-sugar food like a chocolate bar or dish of ice cream makes you feel thirsty. In someone without diarrhea, drinking a glass or two of water will usually resolve this. However, in someone with diarrhea, sugar's tendency to pull water into the intestines can actually worsen the diarrhea.
This was the same article that went on to say that turning to artificial sugars is not the answer.

In another article, it discussed sugar blocking the colon and preventing the colons ability to absorb water and vitamins/minerals.

Quote:
Colon inactivity may hinder the movement of waste material along the intestinal track to be eliminated from the body. Eventually, this waste material builds up along the colon walls and prevents the absorption of water and electrolytes.
Id hate to think the multivitamins I take every day are a complete waste of time! I assume some of them are getting through

Lastly:
Quote:
In addition, it is essential for everyone to drink at least eight 8 oz glasses of water every day. Dehydration is a major cause of constipation and bowel problems. You don't have to be thirsty to be dehydrated. Water is needed to CLEAN OUT TOXINS.
----------------------------------------------
In other words. Too much water is not a bad thing, it will clear out toxins (and remember this is relating to your other organs, bladder, liver etc). Most of the water passes through our bodies very quickly, not passing through the colon.

But excess water is not going to cause an issue with the colon's activity. The colon will do its best to absorb moisture and vitamins as it works, but bad diet and low exercise, will hinder its ability to do its job.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #9

adso HB User
Talking

And apologies if the last post was confusing, its a conglomerate of this post [sugar and ibs] and another current post [Coffee, Cooking etc) on water & mineral absorption.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:24 PM   #10

Frustrated1 HB User
This thread has become really interesting. I concur with the theroy that IBS'ers have to be more sensitive about food, which for me now includes artificial sweeteners. Most of the items in Chewing gum and diet cola and other "suguar" free items contain Aspertaime.
Does anyone have any information for Splenda. There is also another sugar called, and pardon the spelling
White Spetiva. This is sweetener used diabetics, are there any other information on these items.

But the key, as it has been stated before, is moderation. But I would like to know more.

Closed Thread