It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 AM   #1

tennis14 HB User
Post too much fiber?

i just had a colonoscopy this past week, and the only thing that is wrong is IBS and a spastic colon. so now i am working on making changes, but i am wondering if i am eating too much fiber. the doctor has said to eat a high fiber diet, but i have bowel movements way too often. i really don't know how i have so much in me. is it possible to overload on fiber?

Old 07-29-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
tennis,
You bet you can eat too much fiber!!!
There are basically 2 types of fiber --the kind that absorbs fluid and the kind that doesn't.

All meat/ seafood and dairy products do not contain any(0) fiber. Isoluble fiber are things like nuts, green beans, cauliflower, bannanas, wheat bran.
Soluble fiber includes potatoes, grains--like rice, oats, corn, --- beans, most veggies, and most fruits.
Since everyone needs fiber for their intestines to function properly (20 to 30 grams daily) ---I think it's a good , healthy think to do is take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucel. Both are safe to take daily and proceduces a gentle BM without any straining.

Things like too much nuts give me diarrhea but I really don't chew them too well and too much roughage just stimulates my intestine a little too much. So, you have to find ---what works for you---!!!

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 AM   #3

Dai HB User
Hi tennis14,

Yes, you can eat too much fiber and that can cause problems with your digestive system. There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. You'll find insoluble fiber in most vegetables and fruit, and if you tend to have diarrhoea, you need to cut down on these. Soluble fiber is what we normally understand as starches: bananas, potato, rice, pasta. Banana is the only fruit that I know of that is safe to eat on empty stomach. At least for me it has been a lifesaver and I've suffered from IBS and diarrhoea.

However you do need both soluble and insoluble fiber in your diet. I suggest you should eat ONLY soluble fiber on empty stomach for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Eat foods with insoluble fiber in moderation and never on empty stomach.

There's plenty of information on internet. Good luck to you.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #4

tennis14 HB User
thanks so much for the help. i will definitely try to eat less insoluble fiber, which i tend to eat a ton of. i eat way too much fruit and high fiber cereals. this has been a pain to figure out the right steps to take. i need all the help that i can get!

Closed Thread