It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive

Samams HB User
Post I have IBS my Dr says

I am a student and I am 22. My symptoms are alternate (diahrrea and constopation) so I have the best of both worlds. Well my DR says all my symptoms are signs of IBS. Im sure it was caused from bad diet and stress.

I have had this for 6mnths before anything was done.

Tonight when I sat on my couch, I had these jolting pains in my stomach/crotch and all. That was the worst spasm so far. Right now my stomach is bothering me. My Dr gave me a prescription to some kind of sublingual stuff to ease pain.

Anyway, I am trying to take a serving of metamucil a day. Also I am staying away from high fats.

What else shoudl I do? Cottage cheese anygood, yogurt, cashews,?

[This message has been edited by Samueladams (edited 07-29-2003).]

Old 07-30-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi Samuel,

Yogourt is a good place to start - it has bacteria which help replenish the bacteria in your intestines that help your digestive process - find one in which the bacteria haven't been destroyed - ask a natural food store clerk.

Some other things people agree on staying away from are pop, coffee, chocolates, high sugar foods, highly acidic drinks(lemonade...) Maybe some one can add anything I'm missing.

Cheers, Raju.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive

Samams HB User
I am confused what to do about this disease. Its like my Dr just sent me home with a brochure. NO particular foods to eat, this is ridiculous.

When does IBS go away, how long?

Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

IBS is not a disease in the true sense of the word, because it is diagnosed on a basis of exclusion of all other pathology. It is a syndrome that you need to learn to live with.

Basically, IBS can be caused by stress, bad diet and bad lifestyle generally. To help IBS you need to treat the cause rather than just the symptoms and then it will go.

You need to de-stress, change your diet to include fruit and veg, eat more fiber and cut out smoking dope and taking steroids. Steroids could very well have caused this in the first place.

Metamucil and Acidophilis would be a good start anyway and then you need to go and get educated in some way about this.

Old 07-31-2003, 05:01 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Before a daignosis of IBS, any competent doctor will recommend a colonsoscopy to rule out the more dangerous intestinal conditions. Mention it to him; if he hems and haws get another doctor.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
Inactive

Samams HB User
I don't think i want a colonscopy, but i am going to get a barria enema just to be sure.

Closed Thread