It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

Esie24 HB User
Post Calcium carbonate or citrate

Hi, I am new to the board, but have been checking in regularly for several months and have found it quite informative. My daughter has had IBS for awhile now, but over time has managed to find some things that work for her. My question today concerns calcium. She has been taking Centrum multi-vitamins along with the Caltrate 600 brand of Calcium. After taking them for quite some time she began having a problem with a slight change in urine color to blue-green. We did some checking on the internet and found that this can be attributed to dyes in food, medicines, and even multi-vitamins. Her doctor confirmed this finding. We did a mental check and could find no changes that would account for this. After playing around with the vitamin and calcium, we found she was fine with the vitamin when we stopped the calcium, so we went with the Caltrate in the blue bottle that is strictly calcium with no dyes or additives. I would, however, like to get her back on one that has the magnesium and vitamin D included because the calcium supposedly is absorbed and works much better when they are all present together. My daughter is also showing a tendency toward getting UTI's periodically. From what I've read, some recommend alkalinizing the urine by switching to a calcium/citrate and magnesium/citrate formula and to take at night when you tend to retain the urine for the longest period of time. Already taking cranberry capsules. After reading various replies on this board it sounds like many IBS sufferers use and recommend the Caltrate 600 brand. From what I understand Caltrate is a carbonate form of calcium. I would not want to switch her from a carbonate formula to a citrate one if the carbonate would work best for the IBS--the IBS is our top priority. I am thinking of buying a calcium supplement from a health food store that contains no dyes, additives, etc. thus eliminating the dye problem. My question--Does anyone have advice on a good brand of calcium to go with and whether or not it is best to go with carbonate or citrate for the IBS? Sorry the inquiry is so long, but felt it necessary to give you the complete picture. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Hi
I write on this frequently but I don't think I have ever shared my thoughts about Calcium and the roll it plays in health---

As you may already know calcium does alot of things in the body!!! From Maintenance of a regular heart beat, building bones, transmission of nerve impules, lowers cholestrol level, prevents heart disease, muscle function, it's essential for blood clotting and even helps prevent cancer---- then list goes on and on. Complete books are written about it.

A diet high in protien, fat, sugar, refined grains, foods containing oxalic acid in foods like soy, kale,spinach, almonds, cashews, chard, kale--- all interfere with calcium aborption and some even deplete calcium--- like processed & junk foods, coffee, excess salt, white flour products.

A diet that is low in phosphorus is the best---one that contains veggies, fruits and whole grains. All these contain cacium !!!

It is generally thought by most experts that I have read that calcium supplements should be taken in smaller doses during the day. I have read that you should take it in doses of 500 mgms--- it is thought that this is the max your body can absorb at any one time and it should be along with magnesium in a 2 parts calcium to one part magnesium. as you know--- Some recommend taking it in a single dose at bedtime --- it also promotes sound sleep.

Calcium Carbonate is the active ingreient in Tums and I don't think it's that good since it neutralize stomach acid that is needed for absorption. Also, the vitamins that contain D-calcium-phosphate is not soluble and interferes with other nutrient and mineral absorption. The citrate I think is OK but not the best.

All minerals have to change to an ION for absorption!!!
The best calcium supplement I have ever found is Cal-Mag Aspartate manufactured Vitaline Formulars. It does not contain vitamin D or the amino acid lysine that are needed for calcium absorption. So, you have to make sure you take them also.

My wife has been taking this brand for 20 years. Her last bone density test results were that she had the bones of a person 30 years younger. Bone density tests are not absolute measurement but a comparison of other people tested.

My wife's IBS has been in control all these years. She also takes other vitamins as well as psyllium husk capsules daily.

I read that you said IBS was your # 1 prioriy and I realize it is NOW but with time --- you'll find calcium is so extremly important-- with the possability of cardovascular disease, osteoporis , cancer, neromuscular problem, cell membrane permeability, mental problems----- IBS may later be a walk in the Park. I'm thankful you're so proactive now!!!

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 08-01-2003).]

Closed Thread