It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 03:27 AM   #1

adso HB User
Lightbulb Avacado & Banana

Ive just recently had a couple of 'medium' IBS episodes after eating Banana on an empty stomach.

Ive been looking at the similarities between my 2 IBS triggers. Avocado & Banana. Food allergies can manifest themselves in Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Which I imagine is basically what IBS is, or atleast part of the symptoms we experience.

There is only 2 Known Links between Avacado & Banana:

Melon Allergy
The most common foods associated with melon allergy were:
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Kiwi
  • Watermelon
  • Peach

Latex Allergy
Latex allergy is normally something associated with people working in the medical industry, with a lot of exposure to latex products. The food allergy comes in because apparently the breakdown of these foods mimic latex proteins as they break down in your body:
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Kiwi/Fig/Peach/Grape/Plum/Cherry
  • Chestnut/Hazelnut
  • Various Melons
  • Tomato/Celery
  • Potato
  • Wheat/Rye

Generally speaking, you would probably know whether you have this Latex allergy or not, I believe the food allergies are just a coincidence in my case.

In any case, just thought id post the information I found, maybe somebody has a similar IBS reaction to these foods, if not, hopefully it made for some informative casual reading at the least

Closed Thread