It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 05:51 AM   #1

Vandamme82 HB User
Post mucus...or not?

Hello there. I've just joined this board. I'm getting a lot of "mucus" in the last couple days. It comes out a yellowy- phlegm like colour with a slightly runny consistency. What exactly do you get when you get mucus? I have heard it comes in different shades of colours such as yellow, clear, etc, having spoken a doctor at one stage. I mean i have bad ibs and usually get passage of mucus but there, as i said, has been a change in colour! I'm getting bouts of contipation with bloating. I hope the mucus which comes out with stool (which tends to be fully formed and hard at times) isn't signs of something else. Anyway, let me know. Tell me exactly what you get when you go to the toilet in the form of mucus. What colour do you get, and do you get more with the first bowel motion rather than the 2nd etc. I know this is a very vulgar thing to ask a question about but i really need help from people on this board to help allay my fears.

Thanks so much.

ps. I hope you reply.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
hey man, i wouldn't worry....
i've had all the tests... scopes and all that...
and i have it everyday, all colors you named......
its common in this situation...
if your doctor didn't seem to worry about it, i wouldn't sweat over it...
i mean hey i had every test imaginable almost, and everythign came back fine.. its just something that comes w/ the territory ... although you can get some other replies to ease your mind, to see what others think

take it easy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 03:46 AM   #3

Vandamme82 HB User
That's a real relief to hear that i'm not the only one who is getting this yellow phlegm like stuff. I thought it was pus, and that i had major problems. Did you ever think the yellow stuff was pus too? Why is some mucus yellow and some clear etc.? I hope people including the person that kindly did reply can give some well needed advice.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:55 AM   #4

Vandamme82 HB User
May i ask something else? When people on this board do get passage of mucus, whatever the colour or consistency of it, do they have increased anal pain?? I find i do. I really people reply. I'm giving myself a heart attack cos these new set of symptoms are worrying me that much! :-(

Thank you.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:52 PM   #5

painintheneck2 HB User
Personally I have only experienced clear mucous. But I pretty much ALWAYS have the mucous have a BM. I do not usually experience pain with the mucous. It's just there, if you know what I mean. Sometimes there's more mucous than at other times.

Don't freak out though. I would just discuss it with your doctor just to make sure everythings ok. I know that stress will just increase your symptoms, so try and relax until you can call or get an appt with your doc to discuss your concerns.

Hang in there!

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
~month later, recovered
~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
~later, doc started to question my pain
~told him to schedule MRI
~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
~Set up appt with Neuro
~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours

Old 08-01-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Inactive

Toree HB User
Please read my reply under the post "possible IBS-mucous or not"...I am concerned with your symptoms and especially reading that you have rectal pain..this could be diverticulitis and unless you have had a diagnosis of IBS via colonoscopy, you need to get one.
I had those symptoms and my doctor ignored them and told me I had a nervous stomach and put me on a tranquilizer. Three months later my colon perforated and I ended up having 4 extensive surgeries. I had been having symptoms of diverticulitis and if I had been given appropriate antibiotics, change of diet and others meds, I wouldn't have had to suffer like that.
Please get a confirmed diagnosis by a gastroenterologist....best wishes, Toree

Old 08-02-2003, 05:36 AM   #7

Vandamme82 HB User
Hello. Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to say that i have been told by a gastroenterologist that my colon is fine, confirmed by both a sigmoidoscopy and a fully colonoscopy and a barium and x rays. I do have a previous history of colonic crohns disease. The doctor told me that people with sensitive guts can have pain in the rectal/anal region without there being any signs of inflammation though. What i was concerned about was the different types of mucus-like fluid coming out when i go to the toilet. There are lots of people on here who have complained about anal and rectal pain. A few people have also come forward and described the same mucus symptoms as me. I'm still really unsure though. I think it's time i saw the GI again and asked him to take another look up there. My crohns has been in remission for so long. I've suffered with ibs like 95% of the time since i've had my crohns diagnosed.

Vandamme82.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Inactive

Toree HB User
I am glad you are considering updating your tests. Especially having been diagnosed with Chrohn's, it is very important, I am sure you must know that too. The tests are so unpleasant but having been through the surgeries, I would rather have those tests anytime than the other.

I just don't know about the mucous..the only thing I recall is that during the initial state of infection(diverticulitis) when I was having all that diarrhea, there was mucous that was of a different consistancy than the diarrhea. Not bloody though. And when I would get the constipation side of it, I had mucous whenever I finally did pass a stool. All during that time I did not know I was having diverticulitis..this was during the time the doc said I had a "nervous stomach"...the jerk!

Anyway, I still have to treat my stomach with TLC and have a very limited menu but at least my episodes of diarrhea/consitipation are very few and that's all that matters.
I wish you the very best and will watch for any of your future posts here...Toree

Closed Thread