It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

ArtStar HB User
Post scared to take Metamucil

well i bought some Metamucil capsules today......i was going to start taking them in hope to get me regular.....the med Effexor i just strated i think is making me constipated.....i have been having "rabbit pellet" syndrome the past couple of days......i am just afraid the metmucil will make me go more than i am now....i am already going 2 or 3 times......but it is all pellet like.....i take accidophlius already...would the Metamucil help...?

Erin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Erin,
Usually pellet type stools mean you're not drinking enough water. But, it could be the medication??? Metamucil is a bulk forming agent, it's safe but drink enough when you take it because it absorbs fluid.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

ArtStar HB User
i try to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day....i am just afraid that the Effexor is making my stomach worse...i know constipation is a side effect....

Erin

Old 08-04-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Inactive

Toree HB User
Metamucil tastes awful and often doesn't get the job done right.
Consider Kelloggs Bran Buds or the flake variety but only this brand. It has the correct ratio 4:1 of soluble to insolube fiber. Since I am lactose intolerant I boiled a few ounces of water and pour it over the bran buds to soften them for a few minutes.
I eat a bowlful every morning, and the stool is fine.
This is such good cereal for the stabilization of your stool, that when I get a stomach virus with resulting diarrhea, I can eat an extra bowl later in the day or night and it will take care of it. It's works better than Imodium(haven't used that in years) for me.

I usually eat about 4-6 ozs.(dry) each morning, but you can play with the amount to see what works for you.
Best wishes, Toree

Closed Thread