It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Inactive

Samams HB User
Post Smoking and IBS

Hi I just read that smoking can affect IBS, really?
I smoke marijuana, do I have to stop, does it aggrevate it?

Also my stools are really dark in color.

Im going to buy some acidophilus, how much to take ?

Old 07-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #2

american gal in OH HB User
I smoke cigarettes and I know that it can trigger spasams for me, so if I have anywhere I need to go then I try not to smoke.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 01:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Yes, smoking can affect IBS and make symptoms worse. Also, if you smoke drugs it can also affect IBS, as drugs like this have an effect on the nervous system, that also affects IBS.

You should initially start taking Acidophilis twice daily on an empty stomach.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you take a good look at your lifestyle in general, especially after reading your other post about taking steroids, to which I have replied also.

It is no wonder you have IBS really is it?

Old 08-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

rush-rulz HB User
You know, I'm pretty sure that smoking makes mine worse, but at the same time, it also seems to trigger something if I get up and have a cigarette. I have the constipation-type, so it's good that something's triggered. But it only works when I'm not dashing off to work, so maybe there's no connection anyway.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #5

chapperjoe HB User
I hate to say it, but smoking was my 'cure' for IBS. If I were to simply eat and then go somewhere, there would be much uncertainty as to how my stomach would behave on the trip. If I smoke before a trip, I can let my stomach 'do its thing' before I go anywhere - and take care of business before the trip. Before I started smoking, if i had to go then i had to go right then and there - e.g. sides of highways, other peoples homes, nasty public toilets. Then i started smoking and i could control myself.

The flip side of course is that i have chest pains at 23 years old and was completely out of shape up until amonth ago when i started changing things. I took milk out of my diet and am working on quitting smoking. You see, cheese and milk was really the tools IBS used to mess me up, and i used cigarettes to combat IBS. I have since dropped both. We'll see what happens.

Closed Thread