It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

river HB User
Post bright green diarreah help?

I have had IBS for about 10 yrs. But, I have never once had bright green diarreah. Until yesterday that it. I'm talking fresh cut grass springtime green! It was quite painful cramping but that is normal. But I had been having troubles with nausea and stomach pain that was not usual for me for a few days prior to my shocking green movement. Please tell me someone else out there knows something about this. I wondered if I could have perhaps gotten a flu bug this time....

Old 07-31-2003, 01:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

It could very well be that you have some kind of stomach virus, however, bright green diarrhea can sometimes indicate infection with C.Diff. This can happen after taking antibiotics or something else that knocks out all your good gut flora.

Anyway, to help this I would strongly suggest that you either eat some live yogurt or take some Acidophilis caps twice daily to help restore the balance of yoru gut flora.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 04:58 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
I agree with Sarah that the scary possibility is an infection with Clostridium difficile which CAN be life threatening. Have you had a recent course of antibiotics? Any oral clindamycin perhaps? VICIOUS diarrhea?

Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

river HB User
sarah and zip play thank you both for responding. I have not been on antibiotics. And until a couple of days ago had not had any trouble with my stomach for a few weeks. Now you have me worried

Old 07-31-2003, 04:52 PM   #5

Frustrated1 HB User
I have also had green stool, it was very painful and I had it checked. I was on Flagyl for about 3 months when this occured. I have had it a couple of times afterward but when I had food with a lot of triggers.
Sarah and zip correctly if I am wrong, but doesn't green stool indicate the infection or disturbance to the GI tract occurred very close to the stomach.
Thus, as the food is digested the stool gets darker and darker?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

No, green stool is still to do with the bowels rather than the stomach.

The colour of your stool can also be determined by the food you eat.

This could just be a stomach virus that will resolve eventually, however, still take the Acidophilis, because if you have had diarrhea, then your gut flora will be out of balance anyway. Keep them in the fridge and take twice daily on an empty stomach.

Good luck

Old 08-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #7

cpthomps HB User
hey--- I had the same problem.

Though it only lasted for a couple of days.. but my diahrrea has been going on over a month.

I described it just the same way!!! fresh cut green grass!!!

Im now currently having black stools with abdominal and lower back pains; (

I have no med insurance, so Im all around screwed.

Old 08-03-2003, 08:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

river HB User
cpthomps, can you get medical help through your county system? When my husband was single and a starving student he had dental work done through the county. I'm sorry to hear about your stomach problems, a month is a long time to be suffering constantly. Thats just awful.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:54 PM   #9

kirra HB User
I have been taking Aloe vera juice for over a week now and the last few days my stools have been partly green, not bright green though. Maybe it is cleaning out my bowels, any suggestions.

Closed Thread