It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 03:51 PM   #1

Trinity303 HB User
Post INTENSE abdominal pains--help please!!!!

I'm 15 years old. I have had IBS for about one year now, and it has been getting worse every day. I have been to the gastroentologist (can't spell) countless times, and I been on every drug on the market, none of which have had any effect. Zelnorm was the only one that I noticed a difference while on, and it made me worse. My doctor has just about given up on me, and so have my parents. My worst symptom is by far the stomach pains. Every morning I wake up, am in agony for the whole morning, and then usually I finally start to feel better after I go to the bathroom in the afternoon. Last year it was unbearable, and it made my grades fall and everything. It was a relaly depressing year for me. This year I am still not feeling better and I don't want it to be like last year. I have tried everything, and I am at the point where I want to die because I am so sick of living in all this pain. Please give me suggestions for what to do about the pain, I am really at my wits end. Thanks.

------------------
*Trinity*

Old 08-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #2

terri48 HB User
Trinity, I imagine you have a family doctor. Can you get another referral? There is a book i most major bookstores, something like The Best Doctors in The U.S. While these names aren't always "the best" it's worth looking at. Do you have any friends of the family who are doctors? Do some research and try to find another gastroenterologist. You should get 2nd opinions, and 3rd...whatever it takes to get you well, and diagnosed properly.

I am curious as to what tests he performed. If you are having severe pain at any time, an emergency room visit may be needed...any severe abdominal pain could be attributed mistakenly to IBS and could be something else. After all, people with IBS can get appendicitis, etc.

You say though, that this is ongoing. I am sorry that you're not getting the understanding you deserve. Please try to get another opinion...I don't want you to suffer both physically and emotionally like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 01:28 AM   #3
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
You forgot to mention, when you go to the bathroom is it diarrhea? Or are you usually constipated. From what I gather yours is constipation, since you said you were tried with Zelnorm...but always could have been a goof by your doctor.

You said you tried every medicine on the market. How long did you stay on each for before giving up? Also, did you make sure you took them 100% correctly (i.e., with or without food, etc.). Other than that, I too have to ask what tests were performed. At the minimum, after your 2nd visit the following tests should have been performed:

Thorough physical examination of your abdomen, and auscultation; CBC and ESR; chest and abdominal X-rays; abdominal ultrasound.

If any of those showed abnormalities, further tests should have been performed. Depending on what those were, they might vary, but related to your symptoms:

Upper GI series and/or barium enema and/or colonoscopy.

Otherwise, the only advice I can give you would be to take fiber supplements, L. acidophilus supplements two or three times a day, avoid caffeine and things with artificial sweeteners, etc.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #4

Dai HB User
Hi Trinity303,

I hope you've had the tests done listed by the previous posters. At any rate, you should consider consulting another doctor, because obviously you cannot go on like this, and you'll need someone who understands you are in pain. Seeing another doctor would be a good idea also because your doctor might have missed out on something.

The other two posters already said plenty of the physical side of IBS so let me talk about the emotional side of it. Can you talk about your IBS with anyone? Have you been feeling low or depressed? An emotional low may trigger IBS as much as does the wrong kind of a diet. If you are worried, anxious, stressed, sad, depressed, a lot of us feel it in our stomach. It's a vicious cycle and it's hard to get out of it. If you think this is possible in your case, you should talk to somebody, do you have a school nurse perhaps.

In any case finding another doctor might be the best bet here. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread