It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 06:04 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Post Nutrition - Artifical Sweeteners - IBS

This note is in response to a lot of the new artificial sweeteners that are used in a lot of commerical products. This started on another thread and I thought it would be a good stand alone topic.

For persons affected by IBS do artifical sweeteners affect your system as compared to natural sugar? If so what are the symptoms you have noticed?
From a nutritional perspective does a diet containing a significant portion of artificial sweetener generate any other problems., i.e., insulin issues etc?

I believe there are four main sweeteners, Aspertaime (Equal), Splenda, and Sucralose and Septiva (for diabetics) There maybe be more.
But, I understand that 10% of the population has a reaction to Aspertaime and cannot take it. In the IBS population the percentage maybe more.
Does anyone have any information comparing the sweeteners?
I think that moderation is best, but with all of the new sugar free items out, I just wanted to know.

Thanks for indulging me in this question.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #2

Frustrated1 HB User
In addition to the question above I have noticed on cans that artificial sweenteners may cause abdominal distress. Should those with IBS really watch these artifical sweeteners?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #3

Frustrated1 HB User
[url="http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa030199.htm"]http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa030199.htm[/url]

Information to others on aspertame.

Closed Thread