It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Post ibs/college/panic

ok... i'm moving out on my own.. and this is definitely a new experience, never been away from home.... i guess what i'm really concerned w/ is how college classes are... i mean i know some are huge, and some are more like hs, but during hs i didn't feel weird askin to leave to go to the bathroom, but in college, i mean do they let you do that? its not that big of a college, probably 7-10,000, maybe less.....
i mean i don't wanna start the cycle of panic and worrying about class and not being able to go to the bathroom, i'm really nervous about that... not as much as living on my own, although that is definitely gonna be an experience...

how do you get over stuff on your own, pain from it? i've always had family here to be supportive, but now its not gonna be that way....

any replies to both parts of my post will be much appreciated....

Old 08-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

Zipity HB User
I went through the same thing in college. I went to a community college so the classes weren't that big. Most of my professors didn't mind if you just got up to go to the bathroom. It's not like high school where you have to have a hall pass to leave the room. One thing I CAN tell you...DON'T WORRY!! That only makes it worse! I have IBS and panic attacks so I know EXACTLY what you mean! DON'T WORRY! Don't think about it. One of the things I tried to do also was watch what I ate before my classes so if I knew I didn't have anything in my stomach that made me sick, I wouldn't worry about being sick! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
thanks a lot for your reply....

do you think i should make my professors aware that i might slip out once in awhile.. or do you think i should just slip out when i need to w/out them knowing what is going on?? i mean i know most of my classes are just gonna be in small rooms w/ about 20-25 ppl.....

Old 08-20-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

Zipity HB User
I told most of my professors about it. It's a medical condition, they can't say no!! They were very understanding. Just make them aware that sometimes you may have to leave to use the restroom, but it won't affect your studies. You'd be surprised how understanding they will be!

Old 08-20-2003, 08:27 PM   #5

terri48 HB User
BB, when I left home, I remember shutting the lights the first few nights and feeling very alone. And my parens were only a half hour away by car. Still, when you're used to being with them, no matter how much you want to be "free", the child part of you may react with separation anxiety.

Expect that you might have these moments and don't let the anxiety scare you and escalate. It's kind of a primitive thing, and normal. You will adjust in time. If you have to call home a few times a day at first, then do it. I am way out of college and still yearn to hear my mom's voice for comfort especially when I am stressed.

As far as the bathroom thing, I agree with the other posters. Nothing wrong with going up to the teacher and asking what's the policy if you need the restroom, and then confiding in him/her that you have a bit of a nervous stomach, or IBS or however you want to phrase it..or just say "a condition that makes it necessary for me to go more often than others". I am SURE they would be nice about it. Lots of luck to you, this will be an exciting time for you, try to look at it in a real positive light and as you adjust, the IBS
may even improve.

Closed Thread