It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 08:54 AM   #1

bellytrouble HB User
Post Colonoscopy yeah or nay

I went to a gastro recently, and was told before even being seen, that it was likely that I would be scheduled for a colonoscopy. Saw the Dr. and he said I have all classic symptoms of IBS. Of course, was scheduled for Colonoscopy ... which I later cancelled feeling that the procedure is too invasive and since there is no real test to determine IBS was opposed to it. Dr. suggested taking Equalactin 2-3 times a day. His directions were scary saying that I could Swallow WHOLE the Equalactin but the box says ... DO NOT SWALLOW, must chew !! My question is, should I have had the scope done and has anyone here had scoping ? I am early 40's. Also, has anyone else used Equalactin ? I do not find it is doing much but giving me a stomach ache ! Thanks for any responses.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
I had the colonoscopy done a couple of years ago, and it wasn't too bad. They drug you pretty heavily for the procedure so you doze through it. The pre-op "clean out" is the worst part.

Don't know anything about Equalactin. I take peppermint oil caps or Valerian for bowel cramps/pain. I know I feel better if I take a daily fiber supplement, but I'm not very consistent...it just tastes SO nasty.

While the tests won't *prove* you have IBS, they are important to rule out other diseases. You should consider some kind of bowel imaging test to rule out cancer or inflamatory conditions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
I just recently had a colonoscopy there is nothing to it the prep is the worse part of the test they give you a twilight sleep and you dont feel a thing or much less remember it go for the scope put your mind at ease. I too had a fear of it but if I had to do it again I would

[This message has been edited by delrae4753 (edited 08-22-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 03:54 PM   #4

bellytrouble HB User
Thanks for the replies .. I had a CAT scan and sonogram and all proved negative ... this weekend has been the absolute worst ... Had OJ and boy was that a mistake !! I will see about trying to schedule the colonoscopy ... sure can't hurt.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #5

adso HB User
My old GP had some very wise advise on the colonscopy. The first time I came to him, he said dont bother running the tests for occasional pain. At the time, I didnt realise what tests he meant.

If the pain is persistent, if it gets to the point that you are really suffering, then you need to look at why. At this point you simply must have the colonscopy. Make sure you can rule out the more awful options, and then (if thats the case) you can start dealing with 'Life with IBS'.

P.S. Its not a painful procedure at all, maybe it is intrusive, but you wont care, youre practically daydreaming through it.

Closed Thread