It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #1

courtneyclv HB User
Post Having a colonoscopy Monday, any suggestions

I am having the procedure Monday and will be drinking that liquid laxative tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to get it down. (heard it is awful!) What is the best flavor? If I drink it until 4pm when will I start to go to the bathroom and until when??
I also dont know if I need the colonoscopy. My doc just felt my stomach and made me get one. I hope it is needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
Well, I used Fleet Phosposoda which is very salty, so choose your mixer with that in mind. I used apple juice which was a big mistake. Tasted really nasty. I'm thinking a clear broth or soup might be a better choice.

It starts to act VERY quickly - like 30 minutes - and keeps working for several hours! Don't venture far from the bathroom or you'll regret it.

The actual procedure is not bad at all. You will doze through it and be groggy afterwards for a few hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
there is noting worse than that liquid i tried to add crystal lite lemonad to it still horrid i talked with my cousin who is a nurse she said to drink 2-3 bottles of the mag citrate lemon flavor which is as effective as the golytely when i tried the golytely 1 only got 1/4 of it down and i never took any more i didnt like the gaging sensation my colon was cleaned out with the mag citrate and the 4 pills bisadol they had me take later in the evening around 6p
good luck.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #4

terri48 HB User
Courtney, we're in the same boat. I am also having a colonoscopy on Monday. I didn't have a choice of laxatives. I got a paper with instructions and mine is for Fleet Phospho-Soda. I got the ginger-lemon flavor. I read on some websites that it's a little easier to tolerate tastewise than Go-Litely. Who knows..I'll see tomorrow. They said I can mix it into ginger ale.

Would you please post on this thread after your procedure, or even tomorrow. I need a "buddy" as I am scared, not only about the procedure (that I may wake up or the anesthesia won't work) but of the results. I have had diarrhea for over 2 months, that's why I am going. I wish it were Monday night and to have this behind me (ha, is that a pun?). Please let me know how it went, and I will do the same.

Are you also having "conscious sedation"? I hope there's nothing conscious about it, I can't deal with hearing or seeing anything.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #5

Dai HB User
Don't be nervous about the colonoscopy, the pre diet is the worst part. I've had the colonoscopy done without ANY anesthesia or pain medication (that way, I was out in 45 minutes and feeling better than I ever thought) and it was nothing really. Tiny bit of discomfort momentarily, that's all.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #6

bellytrouble HB User
good luck to both of you having the procedure. Please post and let us know how it goes. My Dr. only does them on Wed. My concern is having to take 3 days off work for the procedure .. day before for the "fun" stuff, the day of and the day after. Thoughts and prayers are with you !

Old 08-24-2003, 05:30 PM   #7

whiskey HB User
I feel guilty I didn't have any of that they did it when I was asleep getting my liver biopsy and my gallbladder taken out. I hope I never have to go through it like you guys did sounds yucky

------------------
whiskey

Old 08-25-2003, 02:31 AM   #8

adso HB User
I am unable to drink large volumes of liquid, so I REALLY struggled with the prep. I guess i learnt:

1) There are different preps out there, some of them taste a bit better, but require large volumes (i.e. 3 litres). I had trouble with the sheer volume of these, so ended up with a stronger prep that required much less volume of water. It was horrible tasting, but that was my preference.

2) Take your time, you generally have around 8 hours, so space it out a bit. Try anything to assist you, I tried rasberry and then lime cordial. My preference was Lime Cordial mixed with Cold water, I thought that actually was more bearable.

3) In 'my experience', you dont need to get it all down, but certainly do the best you can, I think I got about 2/3 of it down in the end.

It isnt nice, but it is doable, and it does clear you out, and the day after you will feel awsome, it actually leaves you really cleansed and feeling light and healthy. If it didnt taste so bad, Id opt to do this once a month

Closed Thread