It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #1

adso HB User
Red face Exercise & IBS

Has anyone had any positive or negative experience on the effect of exercise & IBS Symptoms?

I read that atleast some general movement & exercise is important to keep your bowels moving along.

However in my experience, my IBS symptoms seem unaffected by whether I am getting regular exercise or not. Ive spent over a year visiting the gym 3 times a week, weights and cardio, and now a year without any serious exercise and I still get sick about as often as before.

One of the hardest things I find as an IBS sufferer, is getting consistent exercise, because after a big IBS episode, youre out of action for 'atleast' a few days, the rhythme gets broken, my body becomes quite weak, and then I have to build up myself again and restart, I find it very hard to stop and start like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 11:02 AM   #2

bellytrouble HB User
I was going to the gym regularly and Whamo ... got IBS real bad and have been unable to go back for weeks now. I was working out in the AM ... like 5 AM before work. Did 1/2 hr. cardio and 1/2 hour weight training. I would have to get off the treadmill or ARC machine and run to the restroom ... I am going to see if I can start going to the gym in the eves .. but with work, its difficult with my schedule. So, no, I have not found that exercise was any help for me, in fact, I think it made it worse for a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 01:33 AM   #3

adso HB User
Im not sure if everyone feels a little unwell/pale a few hours before an IBS attack.

Not wanting to break my schedule, I did go and do some cardio while feeling like this, and deeply regretted it later. I think if you feel an attack coming, its best to relax and de-stress as much as possible....least that seems to be what im finding!

Closed Thread