It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 03:02 PM   #1

somemessed HB User
Post teen with maybe IBS? help!!!

I have had bad BM's for around a year.
It all started around the age of 16.(i started having bad BM's and stomach problems when I started getting social anxiety)

I don't know if I have IBS or not.

anyways I have a lot of anxiety. IWhen I'm going out or am at school I have horrible anxiety.
My rectum starts to sweat up and all. I also feel like their is something in my rectum after I still had a BM. ]
I tried metamucil for awhile. my stools differ. sometimes when I wipe I have some mucus and sometimes I dont.

sometimes they are loose and watery and also contain food particals.

anyways I now moved to benefiber. and am currently taking one dose daily.

what i notice is i start to sweat up and all when i am in social places(anxiety)
could this be causing my horrible BM's and whatnot?

does anxiety affect how my stomach works and stuff?
im very curious. i was thinking of going to the doctor to get some pills to help my anxiety. maybe xanax...

what should i do. and is this IBS?

also I do notice I do pay too much attention to this part(rectum)

also I can no longer drink milk without having diarrea. I used to be able to drink milk and stuff.
anyways any help would be really great.

thanks~

Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #2

lil red chevy HB User
You should really get checked by a doctor to rule out any other possible reasons for your illness. I would also suggest that you look through past posts on the boards and read about what others have experienced. I have found these to be of great educational value when it comes to IBS information. Good luck!

lil red chevy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 11:37 PM   #3

somemessed HB User
one thing I noticed that alot of IBS'ers have is pain.

I never have any pain at all. could that sorta rule out the fact that I don't have IBS?

also I know i should see a gastro.
what tests should i do? I think my stomach is just not working well because of my past anxiety and always holding my stomach in when my stomach was growling, etc.

anxiety probably made it worse because I had it everyday. from when I woke up to when i slept. it was horrible when i was at school. that probably killed my stomach. and the fact that I never excersized.

In 10th grade I had P.E. and stuff. but 11th you dont get to have it. so i stopped for a year.

anyways I really need some advice. please help out.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Yeah anxiety can effect your stomach and bowels big time.

Old 08-27-2003, 02:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Yes, anxiety can most definitely affect your stomach and bowels. You do not necessarily need to have pain though, but can just anxious and have diarrhea. This is what happens.

Perhaps you have some lactose intolerance too, if you said that you could once drink milk without problems, but are now getting diarrhea from this, then perhaps you should try cutting dairy out of your diet and adding a fiber supplement such as Metamucil and seeing this helps. It could help to bulk up your stools a little for you. Take it twice daily, but remember to drink plenty of water with it.

Also, as you seem to have had diarrhea a lot, it could well be worth you taking some Acidophilis capsules to restore your gut flora which is cleared out by diarrhea. Keep the capsules in the fridge and take them twice daily on an empty stomach and this should help restore the balance and could help stop the diarrhea somewhat in conjunction with the Metamucil.

Good luck

Old 08-27-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Somemessed, hey I didn't even know I had ibs, I went to the bathroom one time and saw some blood in my stool and they did a colonoscopy and it turned out I had ibs and internal hemroids. I was 23 then I am 25 now, I have alot more symptoms now and I take a supplement too. Mucous in the stool is a sign of ibs. Also I have a panic disorder(anxiety). It makes things worse ans my doc told me anxiety and ibs go hand in hand. You should try logging on to the panic disorder board. you should make an appointment with your doc though. good luck and feel better soon.

Closed Thread