It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 05:52 PM   #1

terri48 HB User
Post Had Colonoscopy Today - Details

Some of you asked me to post what happened. So, first of all...the results were negative, nothing found but he did take a few biopsies to check for what's called miscroscopic colitis. This is nothing like ulcerative colitis. Persistent diarrhea calls for this biopsy.

Now, as far as my fear...the anesthesiologist started an IV of Versed and fentanyl. I got sleepy and relaxed and we chatted. Then the dr. walked in and said "How are you?" and I said "fine" and the next thing I remember was them tapping me to wake up. I said "But I'm dreaming" and then dozed off in recovery. The last thing they put in the IV was Propofol which I saw him add and that was it!

I rested for about an hour and went home with a friend. I was lively then the grogginess set in. I am going to sleep in a few minutes and it's not even 9 p.m. but I am very tired.

So...to those that are scared, maybe you can ask what they will give you. This was considered "conscious sedation" but believe me you are not conscious!! I think that term scares people, it scared me.

Expect some gas pains after since they put air in your intestines, No problem, it comes out when you wake up.

The prep yesterday was the pits, every 2 seconds I was in the bathroom and finally at midnight I fell asleep. I also had the chills which I understand happens to 30% of people from Fleets and Go-Lightly, I had Fleets. Yesterday was much worse today, except the anxiety today. If I had known I would be this asleep during the procedure, I would've felt better.

I will need an ultrasound next week of the abdomen, and maybe an endoscopy depending on the results of the biopsy, also keeping a food diary for 3 weeks. And that's my update, thanks for reading this and thanks to all that have helped me through the past couple of weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I am glad you made out OK.

The worst part of the entire Exam is the Prep from Hell!!
I still can't believe somebody named that stuff --Go Lightly???

Old 08-26-2003, 05:44 AM   #3

bellytrouble HB User
Glad you made it through OK and that they really didn't find anything. Its kind of a double edge sword, we want answers but are also relieved when nothing serious is found.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:34 PM   #4

terri48 HB User
Harry, I wonder the same thing!! Go Lightly? When you're splashing all over the toilet seat, have to take another shower or two and spend the rest of the day sitting there with a book and a sore butt, haha!! I think that guy had some sense of humor, that was definately a deliberate spoof!

Old 08-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #5

Rayshell HB User
Actually I have had a colonoscopy too. THey put me out but I did wake up in the middle and was in horrible pain they just gave me some more of what ever they put into the IV and i was out again. So yes it does happen to a small amout of people. "Feeling it" But they can quickly fix it for you. Just to let all of you know.

Closed Thread