It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 05:40 AM   #1

loubilou583 HB User
Question Water

Hi,

I don't know if anyone else has had this or I should worry.

Every time I drink water I bloat right out like I am pregnant within a few seconds.. it is really uncomfortable and annoying.

Please let me know if you have had this or know anything about it.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Question

That sure is unusual. It seems that since your body is made up of 70% water --it certainly would not bother you.
Something is going that I don't understand --- I would try a pure form of water like steam distilled to see if it makes ant difference. Maybe something is in the water you drink???

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #3

whiskey HB User
I agree with Harry I can only drink distilled water or it makes me have a stomach ache but I thought mine was from my liver.

------------------
whiskey

Old 08-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #4

gurggles HB User
My stomach does better with small amounts and more often. How much do you drink at once, and are you eating with it. Someone mentioned swallowing air along with drinking also.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:06 PM   #5

gurggles HB User
Oh, does crushed ice also make you bloat? Sometimes that helps me with gas. I kind of think it has been the air swallowing with me.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #6

courtneyclv HB User
It does make sense Harry, you dont know everything. Even though our bodies are made up of water I have the same problem. It is our spastic colon. Water or air gets caught in it, causing us to bloat..and we dont feel the need to let it out. I had colonic cleansing done and had 3lbs of water in me and it didnt come out for a half an hour. This is a yucky feeling and I wish I knew a cure for it! I eat a little bit of food and my waist adds on about 5 inches. Zelnorm doesnt work too good either.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #7

naenaerp HB User
thank goodness I read this. I've been trying so hard to drink more water. I drank no caffeine yesterday. All water like, 64oz , ran 60minutes high intensity on the treadmill and only ate in the morning and my stomach was out to the wall. I thought the water was supposed to help. guess I'll just drink nothing and get dehydrated/ It's so annoying.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #8

adso HB User
I do not know what you mean... Youre body sends you a signal to let you know that it is thirsty and requires hydration, yet it doesnt seem to know how to deal properly with the water you give it. Im pretty sure its an IBS related issue, your bowels are supposed to absorb water etc..

Sometimes im the same, Im like damn it..why should i give my body water when it doesnt appreciate it, maybe I should just not bother hydrating, or have a soda instead...

I havent had a strong enough urge yet, but I would like to go without any caffeine (coke or coffee) for atleast 1-2 weeks, to see what changes, the most ive gone is a few days in recent times. I dont think caffeine is the problem, but it probably makes it worse.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:58 PM   #9

courtneyclv HB User
I think the problem is the nerves in our colon are not doing anything with the water. Have you tried Zelnorm? I know my bloating has gone down a bit with it. I would get a huge distended stomach if I ate anything, water or even a small fiber muffin. The Zelnorm does help a bit.

Old 08-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #10

rezna HB User
my doctor explained this phenomena to me.

our bowels collect water. when you have IBS, the lining of your bowels are kind of blocked, in a way. When the water is in there with other stuff that our bodies just can't absorbh for some reason {polysaccharides} it will start to FERMENT. like beer. it will release air, also this swallowing air thing could be it too. anyways. you ferment and get gassy, then, your intensines start to CONTRACT. when the contraction starts, its all liquidy in there. the body is squeezing on water and air, both of which just slosh around. so you end up getting this horrific pain from your bowels over-squeezing. it's horrible and I have found no way to stop it. EXCEPT
FIBERCON. if you think you are suffering from this too much water frementation squeezing mixture, i bet fibercon/metamucil will help you. it is best to take in the most pure form, the closest to fiber you can get. this means the easy to take pills aren't that great. im not sure why some people out there aren't getting any relief from fiber. maybe too much? not sure. sounds to me like IBS is different for every one. there's not one way to describe IBS.

[This message has been edited by rezna (edited 08-28-2003).]

Closed Thread