It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #1

catwoman2965 HB User
Post How do you know if it's IBS?

I have a couple questions re: IBS. First of all, is it possible to have a "mild" case of it, experiencing symptoms, but never severe enough to stop me from my normal daily routine? And second, what tests, etc. are used to diagnose? I've been having some symptoms, off and on for maybe 6-7 months, but never severe, just annoying. I get diarrhea more frequently than I think is normal, and other times am constipated, and when I do go, there is mucous as well. I'm wondering if it could possibly be IBS, or related to other digestive problems I've had in the past. I had a polyp removed from my small intestine twice, and got pancreatitis both times, but don't know if there's any connection there. I'm supposed to be following a low-fat diet, but am not always successful, and notice that sometimes the diarrhea happens when I eat something that has too much fat. I also have some pain/discomfort on my left side, just under my ribs. It feels kind of like a stitch in my side, but seems to have gotten a slightly worse over the last couple of weeks.

I'm scheduled to have a colonoscopy in about 3 weeks (as a precaution because of my previous problems), and am wondering what to ask my dr. re: these symptoms. Also, if it is IBS, what will show during the colonoscopy, if anything? I'm 37, female, slightly overweight. Any insigt would be appreciated!

Old 08-08-2003, 04:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

No, IBS will not show up on any test that you have done because it is not a disease such as others, but a syndrome. The diagnosis of IBS is made on exclusion of other more serious things from tests.

If you have diarrhea following eating too much fat and have pain under your rib cage, then I would really think about getting your gallbladder checked out.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 PM   #3

j1m9 HB User
I just had a sigmoidoscopy 2 weeks ago - Dr. wanted to rule out anything serious.

He said I "just" had IBS, and gave me some prescriptions to take.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about your symptoms, and mention what you've researched about IBS. Then let him make the diagnosis.

Good luck with your scope

Old 08-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ive have ibs since i was 17.I have a gnawing pain on my right side unde my right breast,right on the bone .I tested positive for h pylori.The doc said that was what was causing the pain.I had a barium xray done of my bowel.It went into spasms thats how they diagnosed my ibs, plus with the info i gave them about my symptoms at home.

------------------

Closed Thread