It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 03:00 AM   #1

CatherineT302 HB User
Post Energy levels

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a really bad patch, although I've been ignoring it for the past two years!! Although I can eat things like rice,fish, chicken, gluten free bread etc and I am eating around every two hours I am finding very hard to have any energy.

Does anyone have any tips on any low-fibre foods that might actually help me get through a working day!! I would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem, as it is not actually sleepyness more a kind of lethargy that is there when I wake up and can be quite depressing at its worse. I have had blood tests, ultrasounds etc and everything is normal.

Anyway, hope you can help - this board certainly has as it has made me realise that I have got quite a mild form - if I could stop feeling sick and wake up life would be great!!

Catherine

Old 08-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #2

WeepingWillow HB User
I feel that way all the time too, it's very depressing, I have things I'd like to do, but I'm either sick or so tired from being sick all the time-I can't. Maybe there is something healthy to eat that can restore some energy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 PM   #3

mjnish HB User
I've had IBS for about 3-4 years but it was highly
accelerated when i got a staph infection after surgery.
12 weeks of IV anti-biotics and my system(s) just don't function the same. i have extremely low energy
and i'm very-very sensitive to food and i never was
before. here i am a year later after trying all kinds
of both drugs and homeopathic and i can work productively for maybe 7 hours. if i go out and try
to have "fun" i'm limited to walking and can last about
3-4 hours. but this is after a year! i want my life back. i say another posting about the "missing link"
where you have leaky gut syndrome and food is not processed correctly and your immune system attacks it
causing tremendous pain. i have that too. whatever i
have it is centered around my gut but they cannot determine an exact cause. i have had every test including the camera test (where you swallow the camera
and it takes pictures of the entire gut; its a 5-6 hour
inner-space trip but it showed very little. i'm leaning towards digestive enzymes and such but i'm
traveling blind so if anybody has had a similar experience i'd like to hear it. i'm getting desperate!

Old 08-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
I have had this problem as well. It is like a dull dull sense of fatigue. It is like you said it is not feeling sleepy, but it feels like your senses are dulled.
This happens when I injest one fot he offending foods. As like you, I eat the same kinds of foods. But it took me a while for my body to readjust to the new foods. The other thing I would consider is whether there are any other foods you are injesting can have a trigger. For me, it was processed meats and pringles. After suffering two days with IBS-C and D I read the ingrediants and found out that gluten is used in these potato chips. Therefore I really screen the foods I eat.
After eating clean for about two weeks, my energy level was much better.
Have you tried potatoes, it is an excellent source of carbohydrates.

I am a proponent of a food diary. This diary would give you a guide on what may be affecting you.

Good Luck

Closed Thread