It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #1

aussiegal66 HB User
Thumbs down anyone else with these symptoms (m)

I know some of them are standard but never heard much about the others from some. I have a barium enema 12 months ago and a torteous spasm was seen then and IBS was the diagnosis:
bloating
pelvic heaviness
pain on lower left - tender to touch
cramps
a strange feeling after going to the toilet ( sort of like you have overworked or pulled your muscle), which is worse when moving
when standing if I strain (eg. the pass wind) I feel a lot of pressure.
It is the last two symptoms that I have not heard too much about, anyone else have these .

Thanks Rose

Old 07-01-2003, 03:50 PM   #2

longell HB User
Sometimes I get a strained feeling after a movement when my IBS is acting up.
I also get the tenderness on my left side.
I also get headaches with my and my stomach gets very har and protruding(bloating effect).
If I take fiber daily, I feel better though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #3

sestus HB User
I get most of these symptoms too. The tenderness really scared the hell out of me until my doc did a conoloscopy and ruled out a tumor. I think that sometimes my colon starts to constrict and my lower colon starts to get 'backed up'. This puts presure on my siatic (sp) nerve which causes hip and leg pain. Fiber makes my IBS much worse!

Old 07-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #4

AJS HB User
Hello All
IBS is such an annoying thing isn't it. These are my sypmtoms which seem very similar.
BLOATED ALL THE TIME
NEVER FEEL "FULLY EMPTY"AFTER HAVING A BOWEL MOVEMENT
FULL OF GAS ALLLLLL THE TIME
CRAMPS ALL THE TIME
SOMETIMES HAVE MUCOUS IN STOOL
HURTS TO HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT SOME DAYS
GET "STAGE FRIGHT" IN PUBLIC BATHROOMS AND AT OTHER PEOPLES HOUSE(THE WORST ONE)
any other ideas to decrease my problems cause i am sick of this

Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Fiber doesn't work for everyone, but gets pushed anyway..But you still have to drink lots of fluids. Preferrably nutitional ones. I have to admit 2 hours in the restroom at work, and wanting to pass out, but then hoping no one calls 911, because they can do nothing for you... Is always a fun treat. ( but the operator's are good to ask if you are still conscious, as u yell into the phone saying, " WHAT DO U THINK....? " Meanwhile you wish the child would just be born, uhhh, I mean, ******** your goodies into the "the land of the tidy bowl man", and get the heck out of that tiny room.. You also tend to pray that no one lights a match...... If I sound JUST a little sarcastic, my apologize, but this drives me nuts, when I think I figured myself out and predict the episdoes, It all changes... I've had this 2/3rds of my life. I'm 37.
But you know the doctor is trying to be very helpful when the fingers press down and the doctor says, does this hurt.....? .....
yes, I know, but murder is illegal.

This isn't helping anything...

Basically when an episode hits, I eat rice and liquids and banana's... ok, skip the banana's they make my tongue itch.. The reason of the diet is to give your colon a rest. As much as you WANT to eat roughage, you can't.. IBS is not anything like IBD..
IBD's are nasty. IBS is treatable, now does anyone know how to actually treat it? I'm on Levbid and can not take ANY antacids with magnesium in them... I stay away from carbonated drinks , caffiene, fruit juices, veggie juices.. basically no fun with food and it ruins my life.. well, ok.. partially..ruins it.. makes bbq's heck..
I have found no matter how horrible things get, I try my hardest to keep a positive outlook... So, uhh, yes, I joked with the paramedic... Miserable, soaking wet from perspiration..but made some dumb remark.

.. I'm really depressing everyone here aren't I? sorry..

There is one type of drug that was made specifically for women with IBS. The drug, since one of the unfortunate side effect's is death... eventually was pulled the drug off the market....

If you understand what is going on with the colon when an episode strikes, it doesn't make u feel any better, but u do know what is happening inside you while it's going on,... well u don't actually think about it, semi passed out of the floor of the bathroom..
You large Colon is just a bit more sensitive that a normal colon is.. Anything can trigger it to go off.. find out what it is, and avoid it. If you think it's not fair that you can't eat it, you are correct, it isn't, but avoid it or pay the price. Btw, the Levbid I take is an antispasmodic drug, and is not for everyone. If you have found a better fix, all the power to to u.
I do know, you are not suppose to have blood with IBS..
Uhh, other things to note.. A heating pad over the colon where it hurts, if the pain is on the lower right side, be a bit more careful it maybe something else. Pain can radiate to the back, making u feel like you have back problems. And you can actually have back problems, Usually the heating pad will ease you pain, and you will also most likely have a BM.

bloating is also common, it'll pass, just hang in there.. Feeling full and not wanting to eat happens.
heart burn.. gas.. gas pains.. becareful of what you take OTC.. I went to the ER twice. (no, they were not good at their jobs in the ER... both times, they did have one thing in common... I arrived on the wrong nights..One said I had the flu, the other said I needed more fiber..
I lost a LOT of weight that year.. btw, MY own doctor cringed at the word fiber.. had I done so... I would have been in REALLY bad shape..)

Well I think I bummed everyone out with this post and will go back to the IBD board where I belong, My IBS is concurrent with the Ulcerative Colitis which is also causing me pain..
-----
Hey, you are paying your doctor to help you, not use u as a lab rat.. If you don't like what they are providing you, try and find someone else who does.
Different treatment for different people.. It's corny, but it fits. What ever you take or do, doesn't always work for someone else, but It does help tremendously to be able to believe this is something out there that will fix you and make your life a lot more bearable to live with. Happy 4th to America, have fun, play it safe...

[This message has been edited by BrianKosh (edited 07-02-2003).]

Old 07-02-2003, 07:01 PM   #6

whiskey HB User
I am with AJS diddo I have all the same trouble.

------------------
whiskey

Old 08-30-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
BrianKosh your sarcasm was funny .Nice to hear someone with this problem still has a sense of humor or (sarcasm).

------------------

Closed Thread