It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 06:00 AM   #1

HwoodOnVine HB User
Angry Burning in Colon Area

Hello group. I'm new to group and felt the need to sign up immediately. This is what's going on with me (for the past 4 months):

I had pain that started out in my appendix area (about 4 months ago). Itfelt like I was carrying a weight and would hurt the most when I was sitting.

It started getting worse so I went to the doctor. He didn't see any appendix problem at all. Time went by and the pain started going into my colon/intestine area. It started burning - like after every meal - most mostly when sitting. He put me on all sorts of stuff and admitted not having any diagnosis (Axid, Falnorm, Hyoscyamine (Levbid, I think). Nothing has worked.

I can't even begin to tell you the pain. My diet has changed drastically because I'm afraid to eat the things that I used to eat.

It's the burning on the RIGHT side and sometimes affecting my abdomen and my breathing (but perhaps that's me panicking (sp).

My bowel movements have changed. I used to go regularly 3 times/day - not once/day. My sttols do not look normal (usually orangey in color and loose). I was going through constipation and diahrea and the Falnorm had helped that - until I ran out (they were samples). Twice there was bright red blood in my stools - one of those times - a lot.

My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in November and so of course, I'm a bit nervous about me having it. I did have a CT scan done 3 months ago and everything was fine (except my wallet as I had to pay the $900 myself - wasn't insured at the time).

My first appt with a gastro doctor is Tuesday. I'm hoping he will have some answers. Whatever it takes - I'll do it - Upper GI, Lower GI, MRI, Ultrasound, Colonoscopy).

if there's anyone else out there who has these symptoms, I'd LOVE to hear from you. I'm tired of this pain and agony. I'm always rubbing my right side as the pain is very overwhelming at times. It seems to be at its best when I'm constipated. I do know that (if that makes any sense).

Basically - HELP!!! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #2

adso HB User
Hi HwoodOnVine, I think most of us understand here the sorts of issues youre going through. Although none of us seem to have 'exactly the same' symptoms, it all seemd to effect us differently.

I can vouch for one thing though, I agree regarding the pain issues. The messed up bowel cycles is very frustrating, but tolerable. Debilitating pain is not so tolerable. And I think all of swear during one of those episodes, that we need to do whatever it takes to find out the problem.

In your case, with the blood and family history, youll be whisked away no doubt for a colonoscopy, which is quite intimidating because of the prep work. But especially in your case it is 100% WORTH IT. They should be able to see if there are any issues going on downstairs. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #3

HwoodOnVine HB User
Thanks so much for the response. I went into work today hoping someone would respond so thank you for that.

Today was a terrible day. I had burning there all day so I was anxious to get home. In 2 days I'm hoping the gastro doctor will have some possible answers. I just want to be 'normal' again

Old 07-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #4

adso HB User
It could be a long haul, so try and be patient

Whats the pain like btw? When you say burning, is it a consistent sharp/dull pain, that nags and nags? Or is it cyclic, does the pain come and go with the bowel movements inside you? Is it always after you eat also, or does it happen even a couple of hours later?

Its hard to define it, but ive never thought if IBS pain as burning, but then its hard to put it into words sometimes. I think it as more of a dull ache.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:51 PM   #5

HwoodOnVine HB User
Hi adso. Well, the pain feels like burning - like it's on fire in that general vicinity. I have explained this to people and they want to say it's acid reflux or GERD but it's not like that. I do think certain foods irritate it but I feel the pain daily. It's not a throbbing pain but a hot feeling. When I have a bad flare-up, I can feel a lump (possibly a gland) on the right of my abdomen. As I mentioned before, when I feel my best - it's when I'm constipated. I'll definitely fill you in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old 08-30-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Where exactly on you abdomen is the pain?Upper or lower?Have you been tested for an ulcer or h.pylori?

------------------

Old 08-31-2003, 05:27 AM   #7

HwoodOnVine HB User
A few weeks ago I had my colonoscopy, endoscopy and they did remove some polyps. The doctor told my partner that everything looked fine and that they did remove some polyps. The pain I'm experiencing seems to be the "functioning" of my colon. Last week the biopsy came back negative.

Well, I'm a little hesitant about believing what the doctor has said. They didn't find anything in my uncle until 4 months from when the testing started. He was having stomach pains, chest pains, etc. He felt like he was dying.They did a colonoscopy, an endoscopy, CT scans, X-Rays....nothing. Finally he ordered them to do more tests and they found stomach cancer. Now they give him a year to live. He's on heavy chemo right now.

So on the 9th of Sept, what do I tell the doctor? I'm going to get another opinion? Do I start from the beginning? I have had everything done but a Barium enema.

I'm just worried there's something there that he's not seeing. I'm still in the same kind of pain. I went to the state fair a few days ago and what a nightmare. Nothing like going to the bathroom more than hopping to the animal barns! It was awful - basically ruining my partner's time (as we had to leave early).

I will inquire about the following things - the H. pylori, Caltrate Colon Health and Seratonin. I will also ask about my gall bladder. I also may have to go to a nutrionist as I have tried many diets these past 7-8 months. Brown rice seems to work for me but I get a little sick of it.

Perhaps it is my gall bladder. Isn't there a test they do for this...what's it called?

I'm still praying to be normal again. I have my good days and I have my bad days but on my good days I tend to "worry" about why I'm having a good day...then it almost ends up being a bad day too. I'm a mess

Bye for now.

Closed Thread