It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2003, 12:29 AM   #1

Hap HB User
Red face Burning in Anal Area

Over the past three months I've experience a burning sensation around my rectum/anal area for about 2 months. I went to a doctor and was initially diagnosed with hemmorroids, but after treatment for hemmorroids failed (hydro-cort. supp) I was refered to a surgeon who specialized in hemmorroids. He too said I didn't have hems. and he refered me to the gastro who did a flexible sigmoscopy (sp?) and diagnosed me with IBS. He also says that the rectal burning is caused by my rectum being in a spasm and he gave me Pamile to relax these muscles. This hasn't completely done away with the problem. I still have pain when sitting and the burning sensation. What is this? I also feel like I haven't used the bathroom all the way, have to use a lot of toilet paper to clean myself which usually ends up with some blood on it from me rubbing too hard. I do have some minor bloating, and have lost about 15-18 pounds in the past 6 months (wieght loss might be due to exercise?). Stress seems to make the burning worse. I can handle the toilet paper business, but not the burning sensation. I also feel like there is some sweat/liquid leaking out, but, upon inspection, the area is always dry. The doctor diagnosed this burning as IBS and rectal spasm. Please help. Do you agree? Anyone out there with similar symptoms? I'm having lots of anxiety about this. I need to know I'm ok and don't trust/know if the doctor is making the correct diagnosis. All help is appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hap For This Useful Post:
916 (11-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2003, 10:38 AM   #2

squonk61 HB User
Hap, I have gone through the exact same situation.
Problem suddenly appeared and stayed with me for about 2 years.... IBS, diarreah, hemorroids, etc. Was diagnosed as a viral infection so time corrected most of the symptoms (viral infections have to run their course). The burning around my anus/rectum was mostly due to the excessive wiping I needed to clean myself. 2 years of paste-like bm's which never fully evacuated from my anus caused that area to become tender and incredibly raw. The hemorroids were caused by my attempt at pushing everything out, 2 to 3 times a day. I also had the feeling of liquid leaking out, but was simply the raw, tender skin sensation. If you are wiping to the point of bleeding, you run the risk of puritis ani. Excessive cleaning of the anal area is the most common cause. When pruritis ani occurs, patients tend to wash the area repeatedly and vigorously. This can cause exacerbation of the underlying difficulty. Repeated cleansing of the area will damage the tissue and remove oil from the tissue. Basically, I had to live with this for 2 years until the intestinal virus ran its course. I feel I'm over it now, but my bm's aren't the same as before. This all came on with a transfer to a new city and a new job, so stress definitely triggers this. Try to reduce the stress in your life, and let your anal area heal some... I know very hard to do when you're trying to clean yourself. Try some products like metamucil or citrucil or ones that others have posted to try and produce solid "clean" bm's.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:33 PM   #3

Hap HB User
Thank you for the post above. I think though that a viral infection could be causing the burning though I'm unsure of what type of viral infection it could be.

Old 06-27-2003, 12:43 AM   #4

warrsav2savage HB User
Thumbs up

I have found that with ANY bm, wiping is the main cause of my burns (also the burning diarrhea sensation). Just an idea for temporary relief:
I ALWAYS apply vaseline to my heinie before and after bm, as well as in the morning, after shower, etc - ANYtime I feel like it. I find this helps me a LOT because the vaseline soothes the burning feeling slightly, as well as aiding in "clean-up" after going. It can help clean you without requiring as much scrubbing, since NOTHING can stick to the vaseline! This is just a little something my mother taught me to do when I'm sick, etc etc. I find it helps with the rectal burning.

The Following User Says Thank You to warrsav2savage For This Useful Post:
generaluser (04-12-2012)
Old 06-27-2003, 12:45 AM   #5

warrsav2savage HB User
quick follow-up: I find ONLY vaseline works! (Petrolium jelly) sp? Body lotion BURNS like you would NOT believe, and baby oil can make it too tender! So if you opt to try this, stick with the vaseline!

The Following User Says Thank You to warrsav2savage For This Useful Post:
MacyMaid (11-18-2012)
Old 06-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #6

Hap HB User
Thank you all very much for your responses. I was freaking out about a month ago about this until I started seeing other people experienced the same problem.Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #7

whiskey HB User
Hap, I have that exact same problem it is horrible. I am using "TUCKS" right now I know it's for hemmeroids but it helps although it stings at first but it give me a little relief I thought about using just regular wipes but haven't yet. my doc is leary about any med's cause I have liver desease and I am bipolar I am on a cocktail of meds.

------------------
whiskey

[This message has been edited by whiskey (edited 07-02-2003).]

Old 07-06-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Not straining at the toilet too can make a big difference. You push from above and give yourself time for normal movement. Do not strain at the opening. It takes a while to learn this.

See if this helps....

The Following User Says Thank You to rhody For This Useful Post:
generaluser (04-12-2012)
Old 07-06-2003, 09:54 PM   #9

Frustrated1 HB User
I am so grateful for this board, I have had massive burning sensation after some bad BM.
I have not tried using these products before now, but I will give it a try It is so difficult to walk because of the burning sensation.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 PM   #10

Hap HB User
Talking

If anyone ever gets a diagnosis for this problem let me know. Thanks again.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #11

TaniaF HB User
I have had spells of this burning anus for the last two years. I do have a hemorrhoid but the entire anus area gets inflamed. The gastro called it anusitis. He prescribed hydrocortisone supp. I use Anusol cream or even Baby Balmex ointment on the outside and up a bit. My burns mostly after passing a stool. So it's a little more than just the outside, maybe up about a 1/2 inch. Do you all have the same symptom???
Tania

Old 07-24-2003, 07:08 AM   #12

Vandamme82 HB User
I get this too. I'm a new member to this board so i would like to take this opportunity to say hello to my fellow members! :-) I get the burning situation after having eaten certain things such as hot spicy food, and even red meat. It's quite hard for your system to digest. Certain acidic juices too irritate me in that way.

Vandamme82.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:08 PM   #13

Hap HB User
I'm finding that caffine and colas are major contributors to this burning problem. Stress also seems to increase the severity of the burning. Anyone else with experiences like this, please post. We need an answer to what this problem is.

Old 07-24-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hey guys,

I'm going to look at things in a different perspective as I always have. I found that certain nerves in the brain get irritated when that happens - I just had it two months ago and I was in pain all day long for a couple of weeks until I realized which nerves were being irritated to cause that effect - I just don't remember which ones they were now, since I am able to block their irritation before it occurs. I found preparation H works to a certain extent (I have hemorrhoids)- I didn't do quite much else though.

Well, thats my two cents.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #15

jtpeter65 HB User
I'm have also been experiencing rectal burning, in addition to throbbing/tenderness pain in the left testical up to my mid abdominal section, and some abdominal pain. My left testical is larger than the other. Last year an ultrasound was performed as part of a physical and that was normal. My bowels have been constantly changing color and form. Sometimes soft, thick, light, and dark, at times constipation. I have also notice that when I wipe from a bowel movement, there's a yellowish color, however no blood in stools or urine, except for when I wipe too hard after thick bowel movements. I have been checked for STDs, HIV, and everything else I could remember. It call comes back normal. I have had endoscopes and colon scopes and that was all normal too. This has been going on for over a year, however, the testical pain has just started over the past few months. I don't have any weight loss and actually hve gained about 20lbs over the past 2 years. Right now I am seeing a Urologist. He has given me Doxycyclin, had has told me to take Advil 3 times daily and some warm bathing. So far this is not working and I am visiting him again. I'm nervous and want to know what could be happening to my body. Is anyone else experiencing similar symptoms?

Closed Thread