It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 07:16 AM   #1

CrazyCats4 HB User
Question Anyone else can't hold their BM's?

My doctor tells me this is 'the nature of the beast' (as he describes my IBS), but I've noticed that when I feel the urge to go, I have to go NOW! It doesn't matter if my stools are water, loose, semi-solid, or solid. I just can't hold it in. I can understand when its diarrhea or loose, but solid stools?

Anyone else have this problem or is it something I should be further investigating?

Thx,
CC

Old 07-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there. So sorry for your troubles. I've had fecal incontinence related to diarrhea/urgency, but not with solid stool. Have you had trauma to the anal area (like difficult labor/delivery) or tearing of the area? Have you seen a GI doc to have the strength/closure of the anal sphincter tested? I think the test is called manometry and can test the ability of the sphincter to close and stay closed. Have you tried Kegel exercises to possibly strengthen the area? I think it's terrible your doc just passes this off as insignificant. You need to see another doctor or get referred to a GI doc who can help.

Good luck,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 06:11 PM   #3

Matt_29 HB User
are you sure this isnt me writing this question cause you certainly discribed mine to a t .. im currently on elavil and lomtil (however you spell them) they help now im lucky cause im a at home parent so i only use when needed .. but when someone is in the bathroom and from 0 - 60 it hits im knocking down a door ..

sometimes it happens when im out like at the store to .. then im in trouble .. and yes it doesnt matter what type, normal to wet to anything

Old 07-31-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
I have the same problem.When im out and tell someone i gotta go ,they always say cant you wait?Noooooo you cant wait sometimes.Gosh ppl who never have had this problem can be sooooooo insensitive.

------------------

Old 08-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #5

chapperjoe HB User
I have been like that for years - I wouldn't call it incontinent, more like "when i have to go the countdown starts" When the countdown ends, be somewhere else!

I am 23 and have had this problem my whole life. At 16 I discovered that with cigarettes and cola I could control when and where I had to go. The price I paid is heavy - overweight and chest pains at 23 - but gave me a measure of sureness and calmed me down.

I used smoking to assert control over my stomach, but have decided to give smoking up. As such, I identified Milk products as my trigger for IBS stomach symptoms. I have thus given up milk as well. I have an appointment with the GI tomorrow, and will run all this by him, but I don't put too much faith in GI's, for as we all know, IBS is quite mysterious.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
I cannot tell you how frighteningly similar your story is to mine. It was like me talking. There have been times when I have to literally run to the bathroom, It is like a dam breaking under the weight of water. I have encountered it with BM in all its forms. It feels like a rocket blasting off.

I have not had a really rocket blasting BM in a while, but I watch everything I eat so that it does not happen. During the timnes when this did occur I ensured I knew where the bathroom was and the quickest way to get there.

Good Luck and now you are not alone.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #7

whiskey HB User
I cannot hold any BM's in either when I have to go it's now. It is horrible to have this at age 36. It is very embarrassing. I didn't figure any one else would have this problem. I wish you luck.

------------------
whiskey

[This message has been edited by whiskey (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-11-2003, 01:24 PM   #8

grasshead HB User
Hello there!

hi have the same problem like you guys
like chapperjoe mentiond it, it is disaterous
Today i had flexible sigmodioscopy procedure and my
doc told me all my internal system, small intestine, large intestine, colorectal areas are clean and healthy. I don't know what to think, on one hand it is a good news to hear that there is no physical damage, on the other hand unable where to go next to get rid off the problem. I had it for 9 years, I know mine gets
nasty when I'm stressed with simple daily life problems, like bing let for work in a heavy traffic.

I red somewhere someone used a drug called remeron,
please let me know how reliable is this drug, 'cause I used most anti-anexiety medications nothing seems to work.

thank

------------------
grshd

Old 08-11-2003, 05:25 PM   #9

whiskey HB User
Hi All I went to doctor for it last friday andc he put me on WelChol I;ll let you know how it works? so far it's been tough I get bloated feeling and just all gassey but it works I hope these side affects clear soon.

------------------
whiskey

Old 08-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #10

chronic HB User
I have the urgency as you mentioned, but not as much when it is hard. If D is on the way though and the hard must come out first, then the urgency increases (My body temp drops, I shake, have horrible cramps, and feel like I'm going to lose control). That is where the panic comes in and my mind makes it worse since I fear not finding a restroom. So far I've been able to hold it in at all costs until I find a toilet....but man I've come close and it is painful to hold it in. Once the seal (solid poop) is broken, watch out! Three is usually my magic number. I have the runs 3x or so in the next hour before I can gain control again...feeling wiped out and sore all over. After that, I cannot drink water or eat anything without it happening again...that's where dehydration comes in.

Grasshead...I'm the one who has tried Remeron and it did work for my IBS but I wasn't on it more than 2 months because I wanted something with less side effects. It forces you into some kind of relaxation mode that must ease the stomach and you get constipated which I welcomed (upping the metamucil helped that). Many people have a tough time with the side effects. You sleep like a baby at night, but it seemed like my IQ dropped a bit during the day! Then there is the weight gain...some people welcome it I guess since they are too thin. It seems to make you hungry all the time and you never feel full. Food never tasted so good and never sat on my stomach so well though. Oh well...you have to choose your priorities.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Geez i know exactly how all you ppl feel .I can really relate to what your saying.What really gets me is that theres no cure for this.Its like a terminal conditon but without the immediate death.Its something most ppl will have till they die,but yet the symptoms wont kill you.This problem has ruined my life my first marriage, and now it will continue on till i die.Ive had this since i was 17 im now 46,You spend your life looking for the bathroom ,seems like your whole life revolves around this problem.Instead of you controlling your life it controls you.Im sorry i just have to vent.I see ppl complain about little problems they have.Never realzing the pain and distress this problem causes.And No we cant wait!!!You cant live your life Period!!!!!!

------------------

Old 08-30-2003, 05:21 PM   #12

CrazyCats4 HB User
You know what gets me.... is that people don't understand... I get "why can't you come out to eat (or to the movies, or a park) with us, they have bathrooms" and then you feel like an idiot explaining "yes, they have bathrooms, and the women's room usually has a line and I really don't feel like standing there with my butt cheeks squeezed closed, sweating it out and having an accident in my pants and then having to have YOU drive me home in your brand new car...."

Babies are potty trained at what?? 2 years...3 years? And here I am in my 40s and I feel like I'm not potty trained.

After a particular hard day with my stomach, I turned on Animal Planet and was watching Emergency Vets... some poor dog had something wrong with its tummy and the vet speaking quietly into the camera said "I'm going to recommend putting this dog down, what kind of life will it have having constant diarrhea...it will be best for him"....

Not that I want to be put down... but damn, can't the medical profession do something about this problem??? What kind of life does a human have when all they think about is where the toilet is and if they are going to make it there in time???

CC

sorry, must be the day for venting....

Old 08-30-2003, 10:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
CrazyCats4 your a riot.Read your post made me bust out laughing.At least some ppl can still have a sense of humor with this disease.Think im going to save your post,and reread it when im feeling low and need a good laugh about what im feeling..

------------------

Old 08-31-2003, 05:28 PM   #14

Frustrated1 HB User
Oh my my my I had to laugh becuase it sounds so familiar. There are days when there is no other choice to refuse going out to dinner. I have had several episodes going out with a couple of people and having to excuse myself. It is very difficult for me to explain to other people my condition. It also generates major difficulty at work when I have to excuse myself for an hour as crazycats so graciously stated "my butt cheeks clenched" to avoid an accident.

Speaking of work, has anyone had any difficulties at work with IBS. How do you explain it to a employer if it becomes a problem?

Closed Thread