It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 08:52 PM   #1

Sera2003 HB User
Post can opiates cause IBS???

Throughout ten/fifteen years I've had muscle pains, aches, etc and no one could find out what it was and it got so bad. I would take enormous amounts of ibuprofen everyday three at a time for years, then, three years ago my pain doc put me on opiates, first percocet then vicodins and now my stomach problems have worsened to the point I'm worried it may have caused cancer because my different symptoms sounds like it but am too scared to go to doctor to find out. I know that's stupid, but, I've got enough bad stuff happening right now in my life, last thing I need to be told is that I have cancer..... with NO insurance. what's your take on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
The biggest problem the pain killers will cause is Big time constipation resulting in loss of muscle tone in your intestines. They just become lazy.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 08-29-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #3

Sera2003 HB User
Hi Harry - I have both diarrhea and constipation, cramps, stomach hurts, feel like something is poking me on my left side abdomen and under my left rib cage, GERD, destention and swelling of left leg. sounds scary and am scared too! I'm seeing my primary care physician this Thursday as this discomfort and discomforting to say the least! :/

Old 09-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #4

Bradly HB User
I am on Oxycontin for Osteoarthritis and for me it seems to actually help. I have D and instead of going to the bathroom several times a day now I tend to go just in the morning although it takes from 30-90 minutes. If you have C then this type of medicine could really complicate things. As far as my stomach, it was much worse when I was on Lorcet and Percocet. Both of these drugs I believe have acetaminophen in them and this can cause problems for people without any other problems. If you are still on the pain medicine you should see if your doctor can put you on Oxycontin. This shouldn't bother your stomach as much and it should actually help your pain more. Take care

Closed Thread