It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 06:27 AM   #1

nvrules HB User
Question ibs and antidepressants

I have had ibs most of my life and they finally diagnosed me about 4 yrs ago. In this time they have insisted on treating me with antidepressants. The newest one is effexor xr. Oh my God I have been on it now 1 month, I just quit taking it. The side effects far out way the pain. I have decided I must be doomed to pain forever now. I was taking wellbutrin and had some releif but then he decided I would have full relief with effexor. Any one else have any luck with this course of treatment? or any experience with wellbutrin. My 13 yr old daughter has now been diagnosed as well and he has her on effexor. AAAGGHHH

Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Getting hooked in the antidepressant cycle for IBS is just really bad news and most of them have more side effects than positive benefits, as you have now found out to your cost.

The reason that some docs will give antidepressants is to try to cut the mind/gut link, but this is not always successful.

The success to treating IBS is identifying the cause of it and by fixing the cause of things you will have greater success of cure than if you just treat the symptoms.

To do this, you need to look back at what was going on in your life at the time your first IBS 'attack' started and try to think about your feelings at this time to really find the true cause.

Also, what has happened with your daughter for a diagnosis of this? You really need to get her off antidepressants. This is not good at the age of 13 years.

Unfortunately, the mind and the body are linked and cannot be separated and what affects one will affect the other, so you have to TREAT THE PERSON AND NOT JUST THE DISEASE.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #3

Kerry B HB User
From what I understand from my doctor, antidepressants are prescribed for IBS because they work by blocking the nerves to the gut suposedly helping with the pain. I dont suffer with pain with IBS so I dont know if this actually works, but Ive just been prescribed amitriptyline (another antidepressant) in a very low dose to help with the activity in my digestive system caused by anxiety...and so far with some success, although Im not sure if thats just because I want it to work!
Thinking of my own 13 year old, I would be very uncomfortable giving him antidepressants at such a young age, I would probably try herbal remedies first, and even then such a strong medication would be a last resort.
A friend of mine suffers with the pain of IBS and she takes colofac mr which is an antispasmodic medicine and she swears by it.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #4

Bradly HB User
Smile

I have done a lot of research but not heard much about the use of antidepressants. I think I would be wondering if the doctor is prescribing this because they think the problem is just in the head. I believe IBS is more of a physical problem instead of a mental problem. Stress seems to be the start of IBS so I would think that maybe this brings your immune system down and at that point you somehow get IBS. I have reduced stress in many areas of my life but the problem continues to get worse. I just keep trying to change things here and try new things that might work. I like using more natural methods than prescription methods. Hopefully you can find something else other than antidepressants that will help you alleviate at least most of your symptoms. Take care

Old 09-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #5

nvrules HB User
My 13 yr old has had stomach pain usually triggered by test anxiety and stress at school since 4th grade. I have taken her to several doctors and they have done every test imaginable and have finally ruled out everything else and tagged it as ibs. I am concerned about the effexor for her, it is a low dose but at this point I am not even sure what other treatments natural or otherwise are available. The only treatment I have ever been told about is the antidepressants.
Quote:
Originally posted by nvrules:
I have had ibs most of my life and they finally diagnosed me about 4 yrs ago. In this time they have insisted on treating me with antidepressants. The newest one is effexor xr. Oh my God I have been on it now 1 month, I just quit taking it. The side effects far out way the pain. I have decided I must be doomed to pain forever now. I was taking wellbutrin and had some releif but then he decided I would have full relief with effexor. Any one else have any luck with this course of treatment? or any experience with wellbutrin. My 13 yr old daughter has now been diagnosed as well and he has her on effexor. AAAGGHHH

Old 09-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Unfortunately, IBS is not just a physical problem and as you stated in your other post, stress affects it very much. There is what is called the mind/gut link. Also, the body is a totality and you cannot separate the mind and the body however hard you try, what affects one will affect the other and vice versa.

You need to treat the causes rather than just the symptoms. Treat the person with the disease and not just the disease itself and you might have hope of some relief.

You may not think you are under that much stress but you can be without realising it and this is why is comes out in a physical form, giving you stomach problems. This is your body giving you symptoms so that you are forced to deal with them in some way.

Have you looked at your diet and changing that?

Good luck

Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #7

nvrules HB User
I have been strongly looking at my diet lately. Also accourding to the dr. there are no such things as trigger foods with ibs. I am not sure I believe that. I have cut out all sugar and basically have gone on a diebetic diet. I am eating more veggies and less meat. My daughter's trigger food seems to be dairy and fried foods. However controlling these foods help but do not eliviate the pain.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:34 AM   #8

adso HB User
Well its true that Food is not the reason that IBS exists, but it is certainly one of the IBS 'Triggers'.

Normally your bowels work just fine, but every now and then something causes them to 'Spasm'. I wasnt so sure myself, so I recently went out and deliberately ate some of my trigger-foods to see what happened. Sure enough, it was a regrettable experience.

I wouldnt be suprised if its partly our own minds at fault too. I mean placebo's can work both ways, and thinking we are going to end up sick, is likely to facilitate it actually happening.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:12 AM   #9

nightangel00 HB User
test

Old 09-07-2003, 05:14 AM   #10

nightangel00 HB User
well my ibs which causes mainly diarreah, the doctor did gave me the antidepressant remeron and I can say it helps abslutetly. Remeron makes you hungry as a hell and helps get you constipated. So if you do have ibs with anxiety and diarreah and loss of apetite this drug will definetly help you

Closed Thread