It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 05:59 PM   #1

Bradly HB User
Post Long Bathroom Times

Does anyone else have a problem with the amount of time it takes to go to the bathroom? I have had IBS for most of my life now and it usually takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. Most of the time I am in so much pain during this time that I can hardly stand it. Then to top it off I usually still feel like I am going to have to go to the bathroom again once I am done. It is almost like I am constipated but my stools are loose and watery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 06:59 PM   #2

adso HB User
When you say 30-90 minutes, I assume you mean that is the time youve spent in the bathroom (not actually going as such?), most of that with a sensation that you need to have a BM, but most of the time nothing comes out?

If thats what you meant, then I can definately relate. Normally my IBS episodes begin with a BM and then a 2-6 hour period mixed with that feeling of incomplete evacuation you talk about, plus incredible abdominal pain, just deliberating pain that will leave you writhing on the bathroom floor. There is not another 'proper BM' however for usually around 24 hours. The link is that the pain comes and goes with the bowel movement/contractions inside you.

Ive mentioned this several times already, but since youre in the bathroom anyway, try to sit in the shower and let the hot water run over you while you concentrate on relaxing/meditating. Its very soothing, and (although it never actually happens) if you were to have a sudden need for a BM, you are a metre from the toilet, so theres no stressing over it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You should not be spending this length of time sitting on the toilet. It is not good. At the most you should spend no longer than 10 mins sitting on the toilet.

You need to increase your fiber intake and start taking Metamucil which is a water soluble fiber supplement to help both diarrhea and constipation. Try this and see if it helps.

You can also consider taking a Calcium supplement. You can loose this with diarrhea and it also helps your bowel to absorb back more water naturally.

Also, a probiotic supplement such as Acidophilis taken twice daily can help rebalance the gut bacteria that are out of balance with constant diarrhea.

Good luck

Old 09-01-2003, 05:26 PM   #4

adso HB User
I dont think he is actually spending the full 30-90 minutes sitting on the toilet? If so, there is no need too, sit on the floor, lie down... even though it feels like you need to go to the toilet, the feeling is false.

Do try to avoid sitting on the toilet too long, as thats how haemerroids form.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #5

Bradly HB User
I haven't taken any type of fiber supplement and I am going to try taking Metamucil to see if this helps me. The time I spend on the toilet is so long because it is like I am Constipated but it is loose and watery. Unfortunately I did get hemorrhoids as a result of the time it takes me to go to the bathroom and my doctor put me on suppositories to hopefully get rid of them. I have tried to find certain foods that don't bother me but it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I have even changes what I drink as well to see if that made a difference. One of the wierdest things I have dicovered is that if I heat my neck it makes my IBS get much worse. Hopefully I will be able to get this under control eventually.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:37 PM   #6

Bradly HB User
One thing I didn't clarify much on my last post is the time it takes me in the bathroom. During most of that time in the bathroom I am slowly going to the bathroom. I do get up and walk around a little bit when nothing is happening but most of the time I have to be on the toilet. Walking seems better for me because I don't think about the pain as much is if I was to sit down. It also seems to help move everything down. If I use cold packs on my abdominal area while I am on the toilet this seems to help a little bit. Not with the time but with the pain. I just started taking metimucil I will see how that goes.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:54 PM   #7

KentMan17 HB User
Smile

Hi,Im a 15 year old freshman. I have IBS and its really put a dent in my life.Since my father died it's only gotten worse.Your correct about being in the bathroom 30 minutes to an hour.I do it everyday.This has caused me to miss 8 days of school already.No one seems to understand my problem.I stay stressed all the time also this only makes it worse.The doctor just gave me pills and told me to quit dairy products.That didn't help.The cramps bring tears to my eyes.I am tring to go to school online at home to see if this will help.I have to work around this problem and it's a real inconvenience to my mom and I.Stress has a lot to do with this.I hope my IBS will get better soon.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 PM   #8

KentMan17 HB User
Smile

Hi,I'm a 15 year old freshman. I have IBS and its really put a dent in my life.Since my father died it's only gotten worse.Your correct about being in the bathroom 30 minutes to an hour.I do it everyday.This has caused me to miss 8 days of school already.No one seems to understand my problem.I stay stressed all the time also this only makes it worse.The doctor just gave me pills and told me to quit dairy products.That didn't help.The cramps bring tears to my eyes.I am tring to go to school online at home to see if this will help.I have to work around this problem and it's a real inconvenience to my mom and I.Stress has a lot to do with this.I hope my IBS will get better soon.

Old 09-03-2003, 02:45 AM   #9

Bradly HB User
Smile

School can be quite hard when you have IBS. I remember when I was in school and every day was another challenge. Hopefully this online schooling helps you out. You shouldn't have much of a problem if you are good at figuring things out on your own. I tried to get home schooling but the school refused because the nurses and the school psychologist(sp) thought I was a hypocondriact. Even my guidance couselor didn't believe me. They just thought I didn't want to be in school even though I always had good grades. Some how I was able to make it through and was glad when I graduated. My school experience was so bad that I decided to skip going to college.

What was the pill that your doctor prescribed you? I am just wondering because I have never been prescribed anything for IBS. Just out of curiosity, do you think your doctor believes your problem or at least the severity of it? If he doesn't you should try to get another doctor if that is possible for you. Its too bad that the medication didn't help you out. I don't think morphine would be strong enough to stop the pain caused from IBS though. Although I have heard that there is an opium based drug that can really help out this problem but it is extremely hard to get. I don't remember the name of it. The pain for me has become so bad that I get angry when I have to go to the bathroom. I have felt like crying many times from the pain. I especially hate it when I have to go and I am not at home. It is so embarrasing and takes the fun out of going anywhere. Most people just can't understand this problem.

So does your mother believe that you have IBS? It is especially hard when your parents don't believe you. Ignore anyone who tries to tell you that you don't have a problem or that it is all in your head. You know you have the problem and that is what matters. Believe in yourself and don't let what other people say bother you. It took me a long time to be able to do that. Take care of yourself and good luck with the homeschooling

Old 09-03-2003, 04:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Bradly,

You need to try taking the Acidophilis as well as the Metamucil too, as stated in my last post to help rebalance your gut flora. However, the Metamucil is a good start though.

Also, how old were you when you first started getting IBS and can you remember what happened or what was happening in your life at the time that you had your first 'attack' so to speak?

Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 AM   #11

adso HB User
KentMan17, sorry to hear youre having such a hard time of it... Really you have no choice with IBS, if youre having a bad run, there is no point going to school, youre better off at home, where you can get some homework done and maintain relaxed. It does sound however, like you have a few years of school left, so you are going to have to find someway of dealing with the issue in the near future.

Sounds like there is a lot of stress in your life, and as youre finding out, that can be a big trigger. The Doc said to get rid of dairy products, and thats probably not a bad idea, he was probably taking a stab at you being lactose intolerant, which has some similar symptoms. But keep trying to use similar principles, taking out certain types of food out of your diet (if its possible). One of mine is probably caffeine & soda (i.e. Coke), in its self I dont think its the cause of IBS, but it seems to make symptoms worse...my body really seems to apreciate having a few days off, if its going through an IBS phase..

[This message has been edited by adso (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #12

adso HB User
Smile

One thing on finding those 'less-painful' positions during an IBS attack...

I have this desk-chair that reclines. When its late and im having IBS (meaning I cant get to sleep, because the pain just wakes me back up every few minutes), I sit on the desk-chair, move my butt to the front of the chair, and lean right back, to try reduce any extra pressure on my abdomen. I put my feet up on the bed and just lie right back and it is quite relaxing and not as painful as lying down or sitting up.

If its late ill even put the blanket over me and rest my eyes, even if you cant sleep like this, its 'almost sleeping', and sometimes it relaxes you enough to eventually jump back in bed and try to go to sleep properly.

Its hard, but dont forget that getting frustrated about missing-sleep (or school) is just going to make the symptoms worse, I kinda feel like this approach is 'accepting youre having an attack' and doing your best to just relax and roll with the punches (rather than fighting it). I really must stop using those puns!

Old 09-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #13

Bradly HB User
Smile

I have never heard of Acidophilis and was wondering if you can get this over the counter or if this needs to be prescribed by a doctor?

I am pretty sure IBS started becoming a problem for me when I was around 11 years old. It was close to the end of my 5th grade year and I was involved in an accident. I was riding on the back of go-kart driven by who I though at the time was a friend and he decided to go as fast as the go-kart could go around a 90 degree turn. I ended up flying off the go-kart backwards and hit head first on the pavement. My head and neck area took most of the impact. I started having times when my back would just give out and I would fall to the floor. I talked to my doctor and the school about the problem but no one believed me. Even after this accident. The IBS seemed to become worse as people continued to not believe me along with the pain from my accident increasing. I am pretty sure that either the accident or the stress of dealing with everything caused the IBS. I tried for years to get my neck pain diagnosed but every doctor thought I was too young to have any problems and that I was just lazy. My parents also didn't believe me.

Once I finally graduated high school I moved out on my own and was fortunate to get a job with a Long Distance Company that was willing to train me for fixing computers. I was fortunate to be able to get good insurance for my age and I started looking into what was causing my neck problems. I was finally diagnosed with severe Osteoarthritis of the spine this year. Now what I find strange is that even though my stress levels are finally down to what I would consider more normal the problem keeps becoming more severe. It is almost like an extremely stressful situation causes the problem but unfortunately reducing stress does not help the problem. I have wondered though if the Osteoarthritis aggraves IBS because it causes my muscles to start knotting up. If I use heating packs on my neck, especially in the morning it makes my IBS act up even worse. It is like now that my muscles aren't cramped everything can move.

Due to the severity of my neck pain I have been on disability since last May and that has made life much easier. I would be late for work all the time and my management just couldn't understand my problems. I always made sure to put in at least my 40 hours every week and I was salaried so it is not like I had a set schedule. Plus my management would think I was goofing off during the day because no one could find me. They should have checked the bathrooms. I remember one of the last days I was working and the new manager asked me to start coming in earlier. I told him I couldn't do this because of my problems. He then asked me if I listed the problems on my application. I told him no and that I didn't believe there was a place for that anyway (after checking I found out I was right). So then he tells me that they probably would not have hired me if they had known about the problems. I don't think I have ever been quite that angry before after hearing what he said to me. So I called up my doctor and decided to go out on disability. I was suffering enough as it was and not in the mood to put up with that kind of treatment. He was never as nice to me as the day I told him that I was going out on disability.

Has anyone else had bad experiences at work or school like this? I think about the only thing I haven't experienced with IBS is having an accident in public and I pray all the time that I don't because there is always a first time at some point. Take care everyone

Old 09-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
You do not need a script for Acidophilis. Basically, it contains Lactobacillis and Bifidus, which are the natural bacteria that live in your gut. It can help in reducing gas and could help reduce the diarrhea. Constant diarrhea can also put your gut flora out of balance. You can get them from a healthfood store, but keep them in the fridge and take them twice daily on an empty stomach to see if they help.

Yes, I would say that muscule tension and all the stress you were under following your accident could well make your IBS worse. The tension in your muscles elsewhere will follow through and make your belly tense too, thus causing you pain.

Have you ever tried putting heat pads of you belly to help it relax. You could do this whilst lying in your deck chair. Heat helps your muscles relax and thus by relaxing you reduce pain, so this could help?

Have you ever had a massage? This can really release a lot of tension from you body and could help you a great deal too.

Good luck

Old 09-04-2003, 02:24 PM   #15

Frustrated1 HB User
This issue of Work and IBS is something that hits very close to home. When my symptoms started to manifest themselves I did not know what to do. As many people will attest it takes a long time to get a complete diagnosis, you go through many stages from bacterial infection, to stomach virus and many others. But this does very little to appease employers who only see your reasons for absences as either a lame excuse ton cover up a bad night of partying. If you are in the similar situation, my suggestion is to be upfront with your manager especially if you know what your triggers are. Find out what your business policies are in terms of how to notify superiors. This is NOT a very easy issue but it is one that people who has IBS need to be able to handle. Many people are ignorant about this condition and have no experience to handle it. If a doctor has diagnosed the condition, this information would be helpful as well.

Does anyone else have any comments on this? Any other possible way to handle IBS in a work environment.

Closed Thread