It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 07:37 AM   #1

tennis14 HB User
Post popcorn trouble?

i have been struggling with IBS for some time now and i am working on changing my diet to alleviate the symptoms. i have cut out dairy, soda, and coffee so far, so hopefully i will feel better soon! my mom seems to think that popcorn, especially smartpop, is hard on my digestive system. has anyone had trouble with this? i do not know if it has artificial sweetener or not because i often eat kettle korn. what do you all think? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
As you know everyone is different and popcorn husk irritates my colon --it's sort of abrasive but has no effect on many people ---- they tolerate it well. So, I eat puffed rice!!! Not as good but it certainly is easier to digest--- for me.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 07-27-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 05:15 AM   #3

Frustrated1 HB User
Well for me, I do not have a problem with popcorn. However, I am not sure what "smartpop" are.
Do they have a coating that may contain an offensive ingrediant, like a coating that contains milk?
But if it is plain, I think it would be well tolerated.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:03 AM   #4

tennis14 HB User
thanks for the responses. i don't think that smarpop has a coating on it, so i should be fine. i am going to keep experimenting with foods to see what irritates me.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
(female)

Ravishing HB User
Hi!

popcorn is evil to me altho I will splurge every so often because I love it!!
As for Smart Pop - If I'm thinking of the same thing it comes pre-popped in a black bag and does have some sort of white cheese powder on it. Its definitely on my list of things to avoid because it not only irritates my IBS but also my lactose intolerance. Always try and read labels for hidden ingredients if you're not doing this already as it can save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User
I have IBS and popcorn is never a problem. I conjecture that the condition made worse by popcorn hulls would be a diverticular disease component, where sacs in the colon wall can catch the hulls and get inflamed and/or infected.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:57 AM   #7

Dai HB User
For me popcorn has always presented problems, so I don't eat them. Unfortunately I don't know why, sorry.

By the way, please consider carefully about cutting out dairy, because you do need Calcium. Later in life there is a real risk you will develop Osteoporosis if you don't get enough of Calcium and vitamin D. You need it especially now if 14 refers to your age. There are low fat, (practically) lactose free cheeses and yoghurts which are good even if you have IBS. And remember the Calcium and Vitamin D supplements!

Old 07-31-2003, 05:45 PM   #8

Frustrated1 HB User
I am getting my calcium through supplements. Ironically lactose free milk is available. But there are problems purchasing it. First, the stores do not carry it and the fear of drinking milk even with lactaid pills is too much to risk. Secondly, lactose free milk cost about 2-3 times the cost of regular milk. Third, the lactose free milk spoils very quickly. Approximately, 5-7 days after opening the carton.

Now the question is which calcium supplement is best. I have heard different types like Coral calcium and Centrum and regular calcium tablets. Any comments?

Old 08-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #9

Dai HB User
Hi Frustrated1,

I don't drink milk either, but low fat cheese and lactose free low fat yoghurt are good sources of Calcium. I'm saying low fat because especially in hard cheeses often it's the fat that irritates the stomach. I'm eating both every day without trouble.

As for the availability price of lactose free milk, I understand the problem but it is up to everyone individually how much you value your bones. Personally I've decided to save in everything else but not in good nutrition. Supplements are good but I don't want to rely on them only. Sorry I can't help with the supplement names but they should come with vitamin D and magnesium. Coffee should be avoided around the time you take the supplement.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:28 PM   #10

heloisahelena HB User
i agree with Dai... having a good nutrition is worth the price... I´ve cut out milk (been drinking the expensive lactose free milk), and also coffee (decaf is a good idea), alcohol and crude vegetables. For cooking sometimes I use soy milk and avoid using butter.
Popcorn is terrible, whenever I eat them I have a diarrea the next day - too much fiber, I guess.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #11

whiskey HB User
I cannot even think of eating popcorn or corn even the sesame seeds on some of the breads/buns goes right through me I cannot even digest it.

------------------
whiskey

Old 08-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Gee when i eat popcorn it tears me up .I get bloated and constipated and have to take a laxative to get relief.

------------------

Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #13

Frustrated1 HB User
To Dai Et al, I think that the discussion about the supplements was a good discussion. I will start a new thread on this item so that this can be expanded to other readers

Old 08-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #14

fitandhealthy HB User
I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with problems with popcorn. I had it last night with butter and I was in so much pain. I have had IBS for over 20 years but I never really cut out certain foods but I quess it is time to do so.

I am so glad I am not alone.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Oh you are definitely not alone in this.

------------------

Closed Thread