It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #1

andyM HB User
Angry left side colon pain and pressure???

When I lay down, and press on my left side (lower, about an inch or so under belly button but all the way to the left), I can feel a lumpy knot, long and narrow on the left side feeling hard and ropelike. Also, sometimes when I push in it there is pain or pressure. Not severe pain, almost like a pressure pain.

I have asked my doctor about this and he didnt seem concerned. I guess its my colon or something, but I never thought I should be able to feel it??

ANYONE experience this or have any advice?

PS- When I push deeply on my lower back muscles, it almost relieves some of my abdominal pain?

Old 03-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #2

Hanson HB User
I have the same thing, but on the right side. seems to be worse when I have worse symptoms (gas,etc).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 06:50 PM   #3

Drea HB User
Hi,

Have you seen a gastroenterologist? Do you have the other ibs symptoms, as in "Worth reading for ibs'ers" by Harry?
Have you tried the wind-relieving posture (yoga?)
My suggestion would be to ask to see a gastroenterologist, tactfully, if you can afford it, I don't know where you are, if medicare covers, but if you are having pain, it would be nice to get checked out. If you get to see the gi, you probably should ask for a gluten test as well. If you have a wheat allergy & continue to eat wheat, it can be harmful to your health, why I keep suggesting this.
Good luck, I hope this has been helpful.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
When my left side did what you describe

your post>>I can feel a lumpy knot, long and narrow on the left side feeling hard and ropelike. Also, sometimes when I push in it there is pain
or pressure<<

I was having a very bad endometriosis and adhesion problem that involved my colon.
I've had 3 surgeries related to this problem and since the last surgery was finally done right, I can tell you that one really should not be feeling the contents of their gut as a knotted rope if the gut is working well. If there is swelling you probably need to discuss this with a doctor.
I too was told my concern was nothing to worry about.
It took a long time for my condition to get bad.
And, even when it got bad I still had to go through a lot of doctors and it took 6 months to even get my laproscope done. So if you begin to feel pain with the swellings keep looking for your answers until you get relief.
kat

Old 03-07-2003, 02:37 PM   #5

andyM HB User
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, I did see 4 doctors and 2 Gastroenterologists. I am a 30 year old female, and have stomach aches all my life. I was first "diagnosed" with IBS about 8 years ago, but it would come and go, and wasnt life altering. About 10 months ago, i started getting bad abdominal pains. They are a dull, cramping ache, in the lower abdominal area, in the center of my abdomen that can last for hours, or on and off for days.

I have had an 2 U/S, Abdominal CAT scan, and full blood panels, all negative. My GI doctor said he thinks its IBS.

It seems my symptoms dont match alot of what many people say they have. I dont have any diarrhea, and I dont have chronic constipation (atleast not that I can tell).

Here are my symptoms:

-chronic dull cramping ache in lower intestines (abdominal) in center. This can last all day for days. Comes and goes.
Very hard to describe the pain, it seems to change alot.

-feeling of heaviness in stomach, MAJOR bloating, gas

-often times have stomach cramps usually associated with diarrhea, but do NOT have diarrhea. Just have the pain and cramping and a regular bowel movement. This occurs alot in the morning. There does seem to be pain during and after BM's too, and sometimes I go more with increased pain. sometimes, esp lately, I have a BM, and THEN the dull ache arrives. It is almost like the BM brings it on. It pretty much stays with me the rest of the day.

-the ropelike knot thing in my left side that I explained above

-Overall gnawing dull ache/pain in abdomen

I did ask both GI doctors about the left side hard ropelike thing I feel when I lay down. Its been there for years, sometimes more noticebale than others. The doctors said they didnt think it was anything but my colon or maybe b/c I am thin. (But, geez, Im not THAT thin, 110lbs) so thats why i was worried.)

I did inquire about gluton intolerance thing and the doctor said No. I also asked my Gyno about Endometriosis, and he said he didnt think so, but would monitor it. Didnt want to just jump in with the laparascope.

I am really at a loss. I get more and more depressed every day. I wish someone had some answers for me. Maybe IBS is my answer. I just hate that my symptoms come and go, and change so often. Does anyone else experience this? Some days I am fine, then feel like crap for a week, then the next week, symptoms change a little.

Sorry to ramble here. I guess this is my therapy.

The following user gives a hug of support to andyM:
flipfleury (11-14-2011)
Old 03-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
post>>>I also asked my Gyno about Endometriosis, and he said he didnt think so, but would monitor it. Didnt want to just jump in with the laparascope.<<<

How is your Gynecologist going to monitor endometriosis?
I had a pretty bad case of that stuff and although they did all the standard testing and Sonograms etc...
My doctor was convinced that my problems were not endometriosis. And she never even brought up the subject of adhesion trouble.
Actually, for a while there the first 3 Gynecologists I saw were convinced that I didn't have a gynecology problem at all.
My first surgery for adhesion trouble which included my hysterectomy took 4 1/2 hours to clean up that mess.
Several months later my second surgery to see if adhesions had grown back too 3+ hours to remove my colon from the side wall muscle yet once again.
So who knows what the doctors know or don't know. What they can or can not see.
Ya know, actually, looking back now, I'd have to say that in an odd sort of way that the 3 Gynecologists were right.
Endometriosis and the problem of adhesions might not really be gynecology problems after all.
It took the Reproductive Endocrinologist to finally do the surgery that was done well and also address some other metabolic problems that were contributing to the condition.
My surgeon for the hysterectomy never even knew that
there were endometrial implants hidden in the adhesions that were making my colon get stuck to other things in my pelvis.
Good luck with finding your answers.
I know pelvic pain is a very frustrating condition.
And then again, it could all be IBS. The stuff really can get that bad. I take hyoscyamine 3x a day for my colon spasms.
kat

Old 03-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #7

tbal HB User
Hi to all,
I am 26 years old and since I have had my son 6 years ago. I have had severe pain in my left side sometimes the pain will last for 5 minutes but can go on for 1 hour. After I have the attack I am sore for hours and sometimes even the day after. I have went to my physician she diagnosed me with IBS. I have not had any tests ran and within the last month went to another doctor. He said as well that I have IBS. Is there anybody out there that has been diagnosed with IBS without having any tests done. I am at my wits end with all this it is affecting my day to day activities. I want some relief any comments would be appreciated.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #8

booboo6202 HB User
tbal hi i have the same symptoms as you do i am 27 and after i had my son 8 years ago i slowly developed this pain in my lower left quadrant too. it started out slowly only occasionally and over the years has progressed to a constant colicky pain. i have had EVERY test you can imagine. i am now checking in with my urologist because when i went in for this pain they found my kidney was 90% blocked. well after two surgeries all i have now in the left side is a partial ureter. i believe this is causing all the pain . im haveing it checked out now and ill let you know what i find out!good luck!

Old 05-10-2003, 02:33 PM   #9

Wenz213 HB User
Unhappy

I can SOOO relate. I have IBS and have that type of pain rather often, in the exact same spot on my belly that you described. OUCH. I hate it - in fact, I just took 3 Advils because it's really giving me grief today.
I exercise a lot and that seems to help some, but it certainly doesn't take it away completely.
IBS is SUCH a pain, isn't it?!!!

Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #10

gingirl HB User
Andy,

You may have ADHESIONS!! My daughter suffered for 13 years...do an adhesion search.....there are boards that wil be informative.
Karen

Old 05-17-2003, 07:09 AM   #11

andyM HB User
An adhesion WHERE? I have not heard of this and the 8 doctors I have seen never mentioned it?

Old 09-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #12

toilettangogirl HB User
Does anyone else have any other input on this subject? I have had ab pain after bms for years, altho i keep being told that it is impossible. I have mild crohns, but because the pain doesn't respond to steroids, they figure it must be ibs. I've been on serious pain meds that control the rest of my symtoms such as diarrhea and assoc cramping, but the pain after a bm is so strong and long lasting, and no pain med touches it. It feels like the pain is almost glowing for hours afterwards! I would love to hear if anyone knows of this listed in any literature etc... thanks

toilet tango girl

Quote:
Originally posted by andyM:
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, I did see 4 doctors and 2 Gastroenterologists. I am a 30 year old female, and have stomach aches all my life. I was first "diagnosed" with IBS about 8 years ago, but it would come and go, and wasnt life altering. About 10 months ago, i started getting bad abdominal pains. They are a dull, cramping ache, in the lower abdominal area, in the center of my abdomen that can last for hours, or on and off for days.

I have had an 2 U/S, Abdominal CAT scan, and full blood panels, all negative. My GI doctor said he thinks its IBS.

It seems my symptoms dont match alot of what many people say they have. I dont have any diarrhea, and I dont have chronic constipation (atleast not that I can tell).

Here are my symptoms:

-chronic dull cramping ache in lower intestines (abdominal) in center. This can last all day for days. Comes and goes.
Very hard to describe the pain, it seems to change alot.

-feeling of heaviness in stomach, MAJOR bloating, gas

-often times have stomach cramps usually associated with diarrhea, but do NOT have diarrhea. Just have the pain and cramping and a regular bowel movement. This occurs alot in the morning. There does seem to be pain during and after BM's too, and sometimes I go more with increased pain. sometimes, esp lately, I have a BM, and THEN the dull ache arrives. It is almost like the BM brings it on. It pretty much stays with me the rest of the day.

-the ropelike knot thing in my left side that I explained above

-Overall gnawing dull ache/pain in abdomen

I did ask both GI doctors about the left side hard ropelike thing I feel when I lay down. Its been there for years, sometimes more noticebale than others. The doctors said they didnt think it was anything but my colon or maybe b/c I am thin. (But, geez, Im not THAT thin, 110lbs) so thats why i was worried.)

I did inquire about gluton intolerance thing and the doctor said No. I also asked my Gyno about Endometriosis, and he said he didnt think so, but would monitor it. Didnt want to just jump in with the laparascope.

I am really at a loss. I get more and more depressed every day. I wish someone had some answers for me. Maybe IBS is my answer. I just hate that my symptoms come and go, and change so often. Does anyone else experience this? Some days I am fine, then feel like crap for a week, then the next week, symptoms change a little.

Sorry to ramble here. I guess this is my therapy.

------------------
toilet tango girl

Old 09-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #13
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
I have this. Apparently, according to my doctor it is a muscle that goes into spasm causing pain. Some times it just gets so tight I feel like it is going to break apart.

I take 2 antispasmotic drugs - Bentyl and Levsin. They help a little but sometimes the just take the edge off. I also try to lay on the floor and massage it - that seems to relax it sometimes. Oh, and maybe try a heating pad.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 AM   #14
Inactive

zip2play HB User
I've gotten great relief from two doses of psyllium a day. The mass swells and gently fills out the colon and really stops all cramping.
When I stop the psyllium, slowly but surely the cramping and lower left quadrant pain recurs.

Toilettangogirl,

I get that SCREETCHING pain after BM pain a couple times a year. There is NOTHING quite so exquisitely awful. All I can do is wait it out while I'm drenched with sweat from repressing the urge to scream and scream. Fortunately none has lasted more than 15 minutes. It really is truly horrible.

Everybody,
NEVER make a diagnosis of IBS until a colonoscopy has ruled out the more dreadful conditions like cancer, parasites, colitis (Crohn's and many other.) I'm sure they buried many people who were convinced it was "only" IBS. My dearest friend's "IBS" was cancer (caught and removed in time.)

Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #15
(male)

belveder HB User
Re: left side colon pain and pressure???

hello fellow users:

Me I am 31 have dull like a runners cramp if you will upper left abdomen, and sometimes lower, and at times will move to right upper side as wellor be bothe sides likes to move like many of you have experience of cramping kinda like if flu or diarehha..no BM ..sSometimes this cramping is pressent all day and sometimes for a week or more..massage does seem to help some. Here am I frustrated this has gone on for about 2 years and for me is getting worse.. or at least seems like it is stress does not help..do any of you have similar situation? for me the confusing piece is that it can last for days sometimes and all day with very little relief

Have had CAT scan, bloodwork, etc. Eveything looks great..I do have levcin( hope I spelled that right) That does help somewhat, takes the edge off, and helps, but sometimes ends up constipating me unless I drink lots of water. I have found diet and exercise helps some as well as keeping stress down

My on big hurdle in regards to searching this out I do not have health insurance and have tight budget so have not seen a GI doc really thinks it is IBS but also FMS is a possibility and by some reports 40%- 70% fms have IBS

How do you all cope? so many people I think just say lik eget over it, get on with it, deal with it or think you are just nuts because it has gone on so long..I know some of you know what I am talking about for me it is the not knowing..what if something else is wrong, what if they are missing something which they assure me they are not..times cramping is so bad it is hard to function and very drainnig wipes me out I get tired grumpy etc..not to mention feling like crude..sometimes feel like I have just taken a long road trip and ate junk food and drank mountian dew and drove for hours with no sleep..it is crazy crazy crazy..it even makes it hard to work at times..

so tell me what is you all experience ? any ideas? any helpful hints?

Thansk for letting me share

Closed Thread