It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 04:31 AM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Post Does IBS lead to a healther lifestyle

OK, I know this sounds strange but could IBS lead individuals to a healthier lifestyle.
Once you have found the triggers that generate IBS-C and D, do you feel more aware of food choices and intake. I have read many people have more serious consequences to illness because they do not consult with doctors and they do not listen to their bodies. Does IBS with its randomly occuring bouts of sickness made more proactive?

Any comments on what IBS has changed you would also be helpful.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:33 PM   #2

nightangel00 HB User
Of course that having Ibs will leave you with a better lifestyle. Think about you have to stay away from delicious junk food and do exercise yes you will certainly live with a healthier lifestyle. What Im surprised is how many do not have ibs considering the diet now a days. Specially here in the US all I see is people eating pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs and steaks all the time. I think it is few people with ibs considering how bad this western diet is!

However I think everybody has ibs at a certain point in life. I know I had ibs years back, it was gone, now it seems to back but Im sure it will go away again, however this time I will try to maintain a good diet just because eating junk food is not healthy at all. Junk food causes other problems like bad skin and such. You are what you eat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #3

adso HB User
It is true. My policy has always been that I will eat fairly badly, but make up for it with more exercise. And I have to admit thyat I moved out of home for 12 months and lived on the beach, during that time I ran every day and ate fairly badly, but never had one IBS incident (remarkable!).

The next year I moved back home, and I was doing the gym scene, but only about 2-3 times a week, and i was back to having IBS attacks again. And as anyone here probably knows, IBS is the worst for keeping up regular exercise, because it knocks you out for a few days, and you have to keep recovering.

Id need to test my hypothesis again, but I think the regularity and intencity of the running really helped keep everything moving, more-so than walking or static weight exercises.

In my case, im 'compromising', I know what my body doesnt like, and I stay away from it, but at this stage I am not willing to give all spicy/rich foods away, because I love them too much. Of course your body will tell you if it strongly disagrees. For instance recently (from nowhere) I started breaking out in hives, all over me. My bodies way of saying, look... youre giving me something I dont like it.. stop it, or youre gonna cop it real good. I ignored it for a while, but it got worse.... eventually the suffering reaches equilibrium with your motivation to do something about it. Now Ive make an effort to find out what on earth the problem is, whether its food/drink or even a soap or detergent. Id rather make this change, then endure the suffering.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Sure it does --- It'll put you on a very pro-active Healthy course!!

Eating properly, making sure your digestion is right and your BMs are gentle and regular is Basically where Optimum Health Begins!!

Before IBS you lived a Dream world because --- life just changes as a result of both the good and bad choices you make in your life Style.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-11-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 07:02 AM   #5

Frustrated1 HB User
Thanks for the acknowledgements. I see this as a way to change old habits into new ones. Some of the foods I think IBSers are intolerant to are thoses that are bodies were not accustomed to handle in the first place, such as diary. I am trying to keep a popsitive spin on this whole system change. I am encountering a very sever flare up and with other things happening I am trying to keep a positive attitude

Closed Thread