It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2003, 12:11 AM   #1

shadetree_00 HB User
Post IBS on a lighter note....

After reading many, many posts I don't know whether to laugh or cry as I stand up & explain "My God, I have those same symptoms"....I've had IBS for....too many years now...along with all the normal symptoms of the big "D" to the stomach aches, to the stress and worrying make it worse, to the avoidance of going places, seeing people and basically living a normal life. However I've found that mine is mainly stress related rather than a diet.....anytime I have something to do or rather something that makes me a little nervous.....its bathroom time!! That is until I strted taking Xanax...thats how I determined mine was more stess then diet...I don't take it regularly, just an hour before I have "something", that I know will trigger my IBS, to do. It's worked great for a couple years now, but it does cause drowsiness.......
Anyhow, after reading these posts & feeling a lil down after, I thought perhaps we could post here some of the more bizarre things we've done while suffering with IBS....you know the things I'm talkin about...
1)Feelin OK about goin to Wal-Mart because you know their universal & the bathroom is always located in the same spot in every store....
2) Goin to church & makin everyone crawl over you in the pew, because "I was here first & by golly I have to sit on the end"
3) Speakin of Wal-Mart....ever look at the other people there & think..."My God if they only knew what it took to get me here or I wonder what its like to be normal"
4) Goin to a new place with people....everyone else is checking out the new surroundings & your checkin out where the heck the bathroom is & what's the quickest route to it......
5) Knowing where all public bathrooms are in a 60 mile radius of your house......& the quickest way to get there....
6) pulling a port-a-potty behind your car may seem bizarre to some, you've actually wondered what the cost of them were.....
7) You've tried to imagine yourself on Survivor, Big Brother etc..........enuff said
Anyways I thought it'd be fun to share some of our experiences...........BTW....for the women who are or were pregnant and made it through while having IBS.....my goodness...my hat is off to you...to me that'd be like being on the upper floor of the empire state building & the only working bathroom is on the main floor......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2003, 09:10 AM   #2

lucyloo6201 HB User
Smile

I enjoyed your post very much! Thanks, because I coudl always use a little lightening up with this. First of all, I have yet to be diagnosed with IBS, but am on my way. Saw the GP and the GI and gave a bunch of blood tests which are all normal so far. I now have a colonoscopy scheduled for the end of July - oh, the agony of waiting! Assuming all comes out ok, which I pray to God it does, I will have my diagnosis. I have "D" and gas and frequenty find myself running to the bathroom. Mine does seem triggered by diet, but have found relief with xanax and metamucil. I first started with the xanax, which reduced my bms for 6+ a day to 1 or 2, the way I used to be. If I ate a trigger food though, such as onions, all bets were off. At the request of the GP, I have now added metamucil to my diet, and the combination of the two has made me as close to normal as I have been in over a year.....

Unfortunately, last night I ate some turkey with gravy - gravy bad. I then had an appointment a few hours later. On the drive over, I was getting the movement, noise, gas and I knew I had to go. I tried to pull over into an empty parking lot and just let loose, but couldnt get to it. So I go screaching into this buildings parking lot, with other cars present, run out of the car, through the parking lot, into the building, and started unbuttoning pants and belt all the while. Luckily the bathroom was in sight as soon as I got in and although I made it to the toilet in the nick of time, I about died trying to get there. I wonder if anybody got a good laugh at my misfortune?

Anyway, this does suck, and I can only hope that my colonoscopy comes out ok, so that I can put the anxiety about this behind me and move on to my life again. Nice thread!

Old 06-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hey shadetree, gerat post - I think you're right - we need to find the humor sometimes in IBS. Anyway, as a fellow IBS sufferer, I must say that pregnancy and the huge vitamins I took during pregnancy actually helped constipate me somewhat, so bathroom discoveries were not as much an emergency.

Otherwise, IBS-D for me has been a very humbling condition and I'm very knowledgeable about the nearest bathroom wherever I've gone, so true!

Have a great day,
Katie G

Old 06-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #4

Booliehead HB User
Talking

I have IBS-D and am now pregnant after a long bout with infertility : ) When I was not pregnant Caltrate Colon Health (available over the counter) made me as close to normal as I've ever been. Now I can't take it because it could be unsafe for the baby. Has anyone had any experience with this? The minute I gave up the Caltrate my IBS-D came back.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #5

Frustrated1 HB User
This is an excellent post, I really needed to laugh.
OK, the first thing I normally look for is a bathroom when I go out. It is kinda easy when you are with a group of people. It is like I am casing a place for burglarity or bank robbery. I also look to see if the door to the bathroom is lockable,
One of the quirks is when you go to the grocery store and they have those little old ladies giving you samples of new products in the store. I look at them and think, will this get me or not. I sometimes ask them what is in the samples and get the oddest looks
I can only think to myself, If you only knew!!

Old 08-01-2003, 12:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Shadetree 00 your post was hilarious.Everything you said in it ive thought at one time or another.Thanks for the chuckle.

------------------

Old 08-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Frustrated1 your post was funny too.

------------------

Old 08-31-2003, 09:53 PM   #8

adso HB User
I think making fun of yourself is probably the best way to deal with IBS when out with close friends too (you know the ones who are gonna notice if something keeps happening).

I think aslong as they dont know the details, they could see the humour in it...

Old 09-05-2003, 09:24 AM   #9
(female)

debdaniel HB User
Cool

Oh my, it is so wonderful to hear that I am not the only person that does these things!! And, as for WalMart, everytime I go in the place I have to hit the restroom. Even if I went just before coming in. Guess it is the stress of knowing I will not leave without spending big bucks....

Old 09-16-2003, 08:30 AM   #10

Frustrated1 HB User
Ok, this is kinda interesting. I was at a social meeting where there was a dinner and drinks. So I was dressed very very formally, suit and tie. They decide to order Pizza, Quesadilla, and of course the appetitizers were French bread. Everyone is scraffing down these items and I look on. I review the menu, scanning for something anything. I finally decided on french fries. and chicken. After about an hour of talking, I feel it, you know the feeling, my stomach starts enlarging. I felt as if someone was pumping sair into my stomach. I unhook my belt to give myself some room, others thought I ate to much. I was trying to mask the pain that was building, Trying to keep myself from looking foolish, I graciously excuse myself from the table. I walked as normally as possible. As soon as I got past the corner, I literally ran to the restroom. I prayed PLEASE do not let there be anyone there please. Luckily, noone was so as the pressure was building, I had to let nature take its course. But the restroom was small, and the resturant was very very full. I thought it was only a matter of time before I was discovered and the entry bathroom could not be secured.
It seemed like I was gone for 5 minutes, but time passes soooo quickly, I felt like I entered the twilight zone. One of the guys from the table came in looking for me. I tried to finish up as quickly as possible and I look over and there is NO toilet paper. I thought OMG this cannot be happening. I cannot get out with no toilet paper. I skillfully got those hand towels and clean myself up. Then the unthinkable happens, the toilet does not flush. My heart leaps in my throat and and I try again. and it does. I walk out quickly so as not to attact attention. I looked up at the clock and and 1 hour had passed. A couple of guys were left from the outing and they gave me a lot grief for leaving the table. I

I hope that the description is not to vulgar, but this is very very true.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #11

bellytrouble HB User
"...And, as for WalMart, everytime I go in the place I have to hit the restroom..."

It is not the stress ... it is the formaldehyde ! WalMart, Kmart, Target and Sears ALL get me going .. I have spoken to 4 or 5 others that ALL suffer the same fate when entering these stores and one of them informed me it is the formaldehyde they put in the clothing ! I went there this weekend and even tried breathing thru my mouth LOL no help !

Closed Thread