It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #1

ayeange HB User
Post Could it be IBS w/constipation?

I am new to this board and I think that it great.

I have been having trouble for years with constipation. I have seen a gasterologist, that couldn't tell me what was wrong. Now it seems to be getting worse. I may go a month with no BM. The doctors say do not take a laxative. I am now taking Miralax and still waiting for it to work. I have taken all kinds of fiber products that has not worked. I am very tired and no energy all the time and this keeps getting worse, bloated all the time, especially after I eat (no matter what I eat), abdominal pain, nausea sometimes, weight gain (can't loose no matter what I do). I just feel very uncomfortable all the time. Also, I probably drink around 80 to 120 oz. of water a day and this don't seem to help.

Alot of times I feel like having a BM, but can't, no matter how long I sit there.

Can anyone help me with more information about the symptons and testing for IBS/w constipation. I just need some relieve from whatever is wrong. I'm not use to feeling this way all the time. I want my energy back and not feel so tired.

It's probably been 7 years since I seen the Gasterologist and had alot of test run.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by ayeange (edited 09-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Have a doctor try you out on zelnorm.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 02:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

suzyshop1,

I would be very careful before you go around posting for everyone to get their doc to try them on Zelnorm?

Is this your answer for everything at present?

Each case is individualised and other causes need to be investigated and what works for one person may not necessarily work for others.

Some cases of chronic constipation that do not respond to fiber therapy and other measures could well be something such as Megacolon and Megacolon can slow transit times down and constipation can be very hard to deal with.

It could however, be a case of IBS where you have become so constipated, that you are having a job to clear it all out. Unfortunately, there is no test that will diagnose IBS, as it is not a pathological disease process, so diagnosis is by testing on an exclusional basis.

You need to try and drink plenty of water to try and push things through your system. Also, try adding prune juice, this never seems to fail. Plenty of fruit and veg and also exercise if you can. Exercise normally help intestinal transit times.

You could think about using a stool softener for a short duration to make your stools easier to pass and to stimulate your bowel from underneath, you could consider using a glycerinne suppository to help get you started. These are not good to use all the time, but once in a while to help is ok.

If you get really stuck, you can make up your own baking soda enema and try that. Baking soda is more natural that other enemas, that tend to be quite harsh. Microlax is not as harsh as something like a Fleet enema, but if you need this, then baking soda would be better.

Good luck

Old 09-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Excuse me sarah 68 but she already mentioned she tryed some of those things you recommended in your post.Im giving my opinion just like eveybody else on here.The symptoms she was mentioning were symptoms similar to what i had.The doctor put me on zelnorm.Eveyone on these boards answer and compare symptoms to each person they reply too.Thats all im doing no more no less.Ive recommended no more or no less than anyone else on this board.Just my opinion, and the last time i checked im allowed to have that option.Everyone and everything i think not.Your exaggeration is alittle much.

------------------

Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ill try to answer your questions about symptoms and testing.Alot of ppl with ibs get different symptoms.Some get bloating and gas,urgency with there bowel movements.Some have severe cramps,diahrrea,constipation and some alternate between the diahrrea and constipation.Im not too sure about the kind of tests they do now.I was diagnosed with ibs when was 17 im now 46.So they might have developed new tests since then.I did have something called a barium enema done.Dont know if thats the technical name for it is or not.They take liquid barium a chalky substance and inject it into your bowel,while there taking xrays.My bowel went into terrible cramping and spasms and along with my other symptoms ,thats how the doc came up with the diagnoses of ibs.I hope this helps .I know that this is a miserable problem to have to deal with.Take care

------------------

Old 09-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #6

katalina999 HB User
Ayeange,

I've had constipation for a long time, and had the feeling that I have to go to the bathroom but I couldn't. I believe that the IBS medicine I was taking made things worse for me. I can honestly say that I finally got rid of the constipation, even though I still have IBS and gas. What helped me was to eat 1 cup of yogurt with beneficial bacteria added every day; I also added raw vegetables (salads), which have fiber and enzymes to help digestion; and daily I added a high-fiber cereal (1 cup). I began counting the fiber I took, and ate fruits, potatoes or other fiber-containing food to get my fiber to approximately 25 to 30 grams per day. It took approximately a week to work, but it's really worth it to try. I also noticed that sometimes I can't go to the bathroom regularly if I eat something that I can't digest well (for me, spinach for example). I hope, you'll be able to beat this problem.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:07 PM   #7

courtneyclv HB User
I had the same symptoms. I never had to go to the bathroom and I would bloat up HUGE just from drinking water. I am on Zelnorm and also Librax. The Zelnorm didnt work and the Librax sometimes does. I do have to have 5 tablespoons of benefiber a day and eat fiber and water ALL day. If I drink or overeat at a meal, my symptoms come back. I have a spastic colon and that is what causes the bloating. It is just air being trapped inside. wbs
Courtney

Old 09-14-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
Taking Magnesium supplements have helped me (not Milk of Mag). I currently take 533mg every night before bed. I also take a stool softener with every meal - 3 times daily. Before that, I was like you. Now I go maybe 2 times a week.

Also, I take Levsin and Bentyl for pain and muscle spasm.

I guess I would suggest you find a doctor who is going to give you a whole work-up, including at least a lower GI (endoscopy) and maybe an upper GI. It probably is IBS, but there are other things that could be causing your symptoms.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #9

JanettoB HB User
Just saw my gastroenterologist today. He had put me on something called Agiofibe several months ago.....which is actually psyllium and psyllium husks. Anyway, I told him that it had work for about two weeks and then I had switched over to Agiolax.....which is the same thing, but has a little senna in it. BELOW is a description of Agiolax. Don't know if the U.S. has this yet, but like I said, it is a combination of psyllium and senna.

I asked him about the safety of taking Agiolax indefinitley.....and he said I could. He said that Asians have been taking Senna for years. They take it from very young until very old!!! He also gave me a perscription for Zelnorm/Zelmac to try.....so I'll have to see how this works out for me.

I know some of the people on this board will scream at taking a laxative product......but SOME OF US DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE!!!!!! I wish I had taken laxatives a little more often than I have in the past. I have a stretched out colon from straining years ago, hemmorhoids, slight rectal prolapse, and I have to be careful not to work on a rectocele....especially since I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago.

So for some of my constipated friends......if you cannot find something to work for you......you just might have to try something like a low dose senna product....maybe combined with psyllium. Janetto

AGIOLAX® Granules

SCHEDULING STATUS:
Unscheduled

AGIOLAX® Granules

COMPOSITION:
100 g of granules contains:
Seeds of Plantago ovata 52,0 g
Ispaghula husk 2,2 g
Tinnevelly Senna pods 12,4 g
PHARMACOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION:
A.11.5 (Laxatives)

PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTION:
A characteristic of Agiolax is that its mode of action combines both physical and pharmacological factors. The Plantago seeds are particularly good bulk producers. The bulk thus created acts as a natural stimulant on the stretch receptors in the intestinal wall. The contents of the intestine are given a semi-solid consistency in the higher sections of the large intestine by the indigestible hemicelluloses. Dilation of the bowel by a bulk producing medium alone may often be insufficient; the glycosides from the Senna pods support this stimulus by increasing the responsiveness of the receptors.

INDICATIONS:
– Constipation, particularly the chronic forms.
CONTRA-INDICATIONS:
As with all other laxatives : Ileus.

WARNINGS:
This medicine should not be used in the presence of abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting.

DOSAGE AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
1-2 Medicine measures after the evening meal. If necessary the same dose should be taken before breakfast.

Special dosage instructions :

In pregnancy : Because of its natural mode of action Agiolax is particularly suitable for expectant mothers. In most cases 1-2 medicine measures taken every evening will be sufficient.

In obstinate cases : Agiolax may be taken more frequently - up to 2 medicine measures every 6 hours for 1-3 days.

For patients suffering from Haemorrhoids : The normal dose should be taken. The vegetable mucilages of Agiolax soften the motions and ensure pain free evacuation of the bowel.

For prevention : In patients confined to bed (e.g. after operations) and for those of sedentary habits, 1 medicine measure of Agiolax taken once or twice daily will ensure a regular bowel motion.

Note for diabetics : 1 medicine measure of Agiolax contains approximately 0,9 g sucrose.

SIDE-EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS:
Bulk laxatives increase flatulence and distension. Agiolax acts gently, does normally not produce any disagreeable side-effects and can safely be taken for long periods. Occasional cramps are rare and usually subside when the dose is reduced.

KNOWN SYMPTOMS OF OVERDOSAGE AND PARTICULARS OF ITS TREATMENT:
Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.

IDENTIFICATION:
Fine grained, medium brown granules, sugar-coated and polished.

[This message has been edited by JanettoB (edited 09-17-2003).]

Closed Thread