It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 07:30 AM   #1

stay-stay HB User
Unhappy kinda scared and feelin a lil hopeless

hey everyone.
I was looking online for info on IBS and i came across this site. As I was reading this i couldn't help but tear up. My doctor told me two months ago that I have IBS, I was so happy (at the time I didn't have any idea what it was)because i thought that since i "had" something, they could treat it. Well, needless to say, my doc didn't really tell me anything about the syndrome, other than i should start taking a fiber suplement once a day. WELL GREAT!! It seems like all that did was make it worse. I know that that type of approach to "fixing" this is supposed to take a while for my system to adjust, but i still am having lots of problems with alternating const. and "d". I don't know what to do about it, cause lately i have been getting more and more upset (which doesn't really help the situation) and i feel like i will never feel ok ever again. My mom is a nurse, and she tries to help me when she can, but my sister just got engaged and i want my mom to help my sis. The worst part right now is me having to bail out on my friends and family because i am afraid i'll get sick away from my apartment. Lately all i can think about is whether or not i'll be able to be a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding, because i don't know if i'll be able to make it an hour to and hour and a half not having to run to the bathroom.

I just needed to get that off my chest. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this, and i appreciate anyone who's read this and responds to this.

stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi stacey, and welcome to the boards! We are all here for you, and I know many of us have been in your shoes many times. I too have IBS, but only the D kind not C or D/C. It's a frustrating way to live having to worry if your bowels are going to act up and where the nearest bathroom is anytime you go somewhere.

Word of advice from someone who has suffered for years and tried different things - try not to let your bowels control your life. I know this is easier said than done. Try adding fiber supplements to your diet (I like the Metamucil wafers) and try to shoot for 20-35 grams per day. You may feel bloated and gassy at first, but your body WILL adjust - don't give up too soon. Take acidophilus capsules to equalize your gut flora too. If D is a problem, some people get relief by adding Caltrate+minerals to their diets (in the purple/white bottle, not pink/white) which can be constipating for some people. Try to avoid or at least cut down on fatty foods, chocolate, alcohol, and caffeine.

Find something that relaxes you - whether it's exercise, meditation, yoga, massages, whatever. Give yourself time to relax if at all possible, because stress only makes things worse - which I'm sure you already know. If anxiety becomes a real big issue, see your docor for medication. I know some on this board will not advocate anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication and will have some good advice about more natural remedies. However, some on this site have had great success with a combination of medication and other dietary changes.

Remember we're here to let you vent because we understand your situation.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 09-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #3

stuck at home HB User
Talking

I have recently been having these same feelings. My mom has IBS and recently I have taken on the exact symptoms. I am terrified to leave the house without taking immodium. I am planning a trip out of the country in December and am freaked out to leave my house. I have decided not to let this get me down. I only have diarrhea without constipation and feel as if I can have a problem or accident at any time. My husband is understanding but I can see his frustration when I tell him I don't want to go some where or that I can't because of the diarrhea. I have made a plan to start going out by myself everyday for a drive, I will go a little further every day until I build my confidence up. Maybe that will work for you as well. I know that I would be feeling the same feelings as you right now if I had to be in a wedding. Good luck!!!

Old 09-17-2003, 11:21 PM   #4

adso HB User
lol..I know I shouldnt laugh, but what does happen if you have an IBS issue on your wedding day? No doubt there would be a lot of stress at the time....

Just tell the priest to pleeeeeeeeeeeeease keep it very quick?

Closed Thread