It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Post Yeast and IBS

I have been struck with the initial symptoms of IBS. Extreme fatigue and the onset of abdomical pain.
I believe that it could have come from my last meal and before it runs its course I would like to ask several questions. First, after reading the ingrediants which I originally thought were OK, autolyzed yeast extract is present. I do not know how this is produced. But, I wonder if this could another trigger. Secondly, the ingrediants states flavorings which could be anything.
Does anyone have experience with yeast as an IBS trigger. Could this be tested through an allergic stratch test?

I apologize for any mispellings but I thought I would ask.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:51 AM   #2

adso HB User
Although I can remember having a reaction to Yeast in a Skin-Test at age 15 (10 years ago), Ive been doing a lot of reading on food allergies recently. Everything I read seems to indicate that Skin Tests are no longer a 'reliable' means for testing.

I did read one article though (I obviously cant provide a link), but he said that skin-tests didnt work for him, he has been using a do-it-yourself technique for testing allergies:

In the morning (with an empty stomach), take youre temperature accurately and record it. Take the offending food (keep too One food type), such as yeast, tomato or milk etc.. And then re-record your temperate in 30 minutes.

He claimed that his temperature would rise (around 1/2 a degree farenheit) after eating something he was allergic too. Seriously I dont know if this is a good method for testing either..... but since it could be done at home, theres really no harm in trying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 04:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
What you also need to keep in mind is the fact that there is a difference between food allergies and food intolerances and both have different symptoms, with it being harder to test for food intolerances than it is for food allergies.

Food allergies mostly involve IgE antibodies, whereas food intolerances involve IgG instead.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:55 AM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
Thanks for the responses.

The issue is that the reaction I am experiencing was very very fast, I think because I was eating on an empty stomach. I am not itching or have hives so I do not think it is an allergic reaction. what I have been experiencing is very very similar to a IBS-C episode. I am just extremely tired, my joints ache, headache and abdominal pain.

The other reason, is that all of the other foods I have eaten before without problems. The only difference was a commerically available broth i purchased which contained this autolyzed yeast and concentrates and therefore I am concentrating on this item to see if this could be the cause.

Thanks for the information. I will not try for the scratch tests. However I blood test appears to be in order.

Any other information on a yeast intolerance symptoms would be helpful.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:21 PM   #5

adso HB User
Thats true, it could be something similar too Lactose Intolerance, where its not really an allergy to milk, but an intolerance to the digestion of the milk product (i.e. lactose).

Either way, you cant eat it hehe, what do you normally do in this situation Frustrated1? Would you avoid the food just-in-case, or go and have a meal of it just to test the theory?

Old 09-10-2003, 04:22 AM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
Well, it is kinda both. If it is a suspicion and I know I have no social committments, about two days free, plenty of water and a lot of toilet paper. I would possibly try again to test a theroy.
If the BM was severe as in this case, I avoid it all together I then write down the ingredients and check them with everything I purchase to see if these ingrediants exist. This has made my list of foods to avoid very long. But the peace of mind is great.
Some of the things I avoid are Pringles, processed meats, i.e. luncheon meats, Certain Soy Sauces, ground cinnamon and certain spices.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:20 AM   #7

adso HB User
Exclamation

I replied to this thread a while back, just to be sociable, but my partner who used to work with autistic children, was describing a Yeast Infection that is common in Autistic Children.

It sounded quite relevent, so I did some more reading; The list of symptoms is like reading an explanation of all the crazy symptoms ive had for numerous years. The IBS, Bloated stomach after eating, itchy allergic reactions, High anti-bodies present in the blood-stream, strange moods, memory loss, you name it. Im certainly going to investigate this over the next few weeks, ill let everyone know how it goes, because it is certainly a 'cause' (not a symptom) of IBS.

Ive supplied a list of symptoms for the mean-time, ill get a more complete report after ive done some testing:

Symptoms:
Quote:
Typical Candia Yeast Infection Symptoms

•Sexual dysfunction •Suicidal depression •Arthritis •Autism •Chronic hives •Fatigue •Irritability •PMS •Digestive disorders •Muscle pain •Short attention span •Headaches •Memory loss •Vaginitis •Skin problems •Impotence •Hyperactivity •Depression •Hypoglycemia •Menstrual problems •Urinary disorders •Respiratory problems •Food and environmental allergies •Learning difficulties
There is a simple test that is supposed to test for the presence of the yeast (Candida) infection. But does not indicate its severity however:

Quote:
This simple spit test can determine if you’re actually battling candida. First thing in the morning, before you put anything in your mouth, get a clear glass of water. Work up some saliva, and then spit into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for up to one hour. If you have a candida yeast infection, you will see strings (like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top, or “cloudy” saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water. If nothing develops in an hour, you are probably candida free.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:13 AM   #8

Frustrated1 HB User
Hey adso,

Thanks for the great great note. I have thrown out the offending broth and tried to use the regiment I have used to bring my self back into normalcy. It seems to come and go and my muscles tighten and I very very lethargic and I am just ready to donate my system to science.

I will look at this as well and I will try to update the board as well.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:45 AM   #9

Frustrated1 HB User
OK, at this point I am about to go back to the doctor, for the past 4 days I have been experiencing major major fatigue. This is different than a normal IBS I think or it could be a severe flareup. My symptoms are very very high fatigue. A pain that follows my spine so when I bend my head I can feel it go done the length of my back. and in my shoulders. I will be fine late in the evening but it reemerges in the morning and grows. I have not left my house in two days because I am soooooooo tired. I can obviously type but I am getting headaches and muscle tightness especially in my legs. I believe I have a massive IBS-C becuase I have not had a movement in several days.
Could this be a severe reaction of IBS that has flared-up something else.
I feel like a rag doll thrown in a corner. My strength is down
Sorry for the ranting but this is the worst it has been for some time and I am about to lose my mind

Closed Thread