It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 06:55 AM   #1

bellytrouble HB User
Question IBS-D and Peri-menopause

Anyone out there know of any correlation ? I am 42 and wondering if the 2 are related. I have had intermittant IBS-D for years but over the past 2-3 months it has really become unbearable and unmanageable. I am now taking Acidophilus in AM and PM and have an appt. with new GI on 10/2. Any info is appreciate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there. So sorry for your troubles. Is your D triggered during or shortly after meals? Is it soft, loose, or even watery? Is it explosive and urgent and/or yellow or tan in color? If so, you may have gall bladder disease. However, I'm glad you've made an appointment with your GI doc, since D can be symptomatic for a lot of digestive disoders.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #3

bellytrouble HB User
KatieG . thanks. Not gallbladder .. had Sonogram and CT Scan all normal. It is usually urgent and loose. Been taking acidophilus for about 3 weeks and seems to help a bit. Went to one Gastro and didn't like him. New one is a female, hope she is better !

Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Have you tried taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. It works for diarrhea as well as constipation. You just have to drink enough water with each dose. I know it comes in all forms( powder, capsules, wafers) but it is safe and a bulk forming stool agent. But, it'll produce alot of gas when you first start so begin slowly and it will usually go away with continued use.
What kind of probiotic supplement are you taling?

A good GI doctor it seems is difficult to find. I have seen 7 in the last 10 years in Charleston area and really didn't like any of them. They don't seem to listen to your symptoms before they are telling you what to do. And, ever since the development of fiber optic scopes that the tests they want to conduct. Not very good at diagnosing your problems.

God Bless---Harry

Old 09-18-2003, 09:29 AM   #5

bellytrouble HB User
Thanks Harry ... The first GI I went to wanted to schedule the colonoscopy before I even signed in ! I knew right away that anyone that walked in that door was walking out with a scope appointment. I have not taken any fiber supplements .. correction, the first Dr. suggested Equalactin .. which did absolutely nothing since I learned from this list that it is a man-made fiber and would not help ... which was true. I know of 2 other ladies that went to this New GI I have an appointment with and she took both them off the Fiber and they are on something else. I will wait and see. Thanks for the help. This board is very informative.

Closed Thread