It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #1

kc_1309 HB User
Question barium enema- how painful?

I have ibs and along with it horrible heartburn that comes and goes. My mother has ulcerative coalitis and my uncle had to have his colon and rectum removed and now has a colostomy bag as a result of colon cancer. My doctor wants me to have a barium enema done to see what he can find. I have had several colonoscopies done, yearly, as preventative measures since the problem seems to be genetic. However, nobody that I know has ever has a barium enema so I have no clue what that entails, or what it feels like. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 PM   #2

ds49 HB User
Hi
I've had a barium enema Theres a cleansing out the day before that keeps you going to the bathroom. and all you can eat is jello. the test it self is not to bad I'ts mildly discomfortable when they but the liquid inside you but not bad It takes about 20 min , I was'nt as bad as I thought It would be Did'nt leave you much dignity tough But dont worry about it .It's not that bad other than having the barium put in you It's just getting xrayed Good luck
ds49

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 05:33 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
kc,

Usually the colonoscopy is the definitive test AFTER the barium x-ray, but I guess the MD is just covering all bases. You can't have TOO much information (especially not at THESE prices )

Barium enema is a cakewalk. They's chat about the weather, stick it in, ask you to smile so they get a nice pic and that's about it!
The cleansing purgative the day before is the REAL chore, but then you KNOW that from the annual coloscopies (a GOOD idea.)
Make sure you take the recommended laxative/stool softener afterwards to make sure you get all the barium out before it has to be chiseled out<just joking>.
I had an upper GI and nobody told me to take the softener...well I was plugged for over a week!

Old 09-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Are you guys all talkng about the test where they stick a tube like thing up your butt and squirt this liquidy thick stuff and take xrays.If it is i had that done and it was the most uncomfortable test i ever had done.My bowel went into a terrible spasm and i didnt think i was going to be able to hold it in.It isnt a piece of cake for everybody unfortunatly.

------------------

Old 09-15-2003, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

islandgirl HB User
For those of you who've had both the barium enema and the colonoscopy, is one worse than the other. I've had a barium enema and it wasn't bad at all. But I'm scheduled for a colonsocopy and I'm terrified as I don't really know what to expect. I'm guessing since they will give me some mild sedation, it may be painful. Please tell me your experience. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #6

JanettoB HB User
The mild sedation that they give you for the colonoscopy will put you in LA LA LAND!!! You will not remember a thing. Do not fear this exam at all.....it is the easiet test you can have.

I have had the barium enema test and I found it very very uncomfortable but bearable. I have a huge colon.....so they had to add extra barium to the bag and squeeze the bag to push the barium in since I also have a spastic colon and it (colon)didn't want to cooperate.

If you have a choice between the barium and the colonoscopy........go with the colonoscopy....but make sure that someone goes along with you to drive you home!!!! Janetto

Old 09-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
JannettoB i have a spastic colon too.The barium test was really uncomfortable for me too.When they did the test my colon went into terrible spasm.I didnt think i was going to be able to hold that yucky stuff in, long enough for them to take xrays.Almost didnt make it to the potty.Bet they never saw someone jump off that table so fast.Ha Ha

Old 09-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
(male)

JeffH HB User
I agree. Don't worry about the colonosopy. You will be "out cold." You won't feel a thing. "Mild sedation" means that you'll have an IV sedation, ( instead of the type used for major surgery.)However, you WILL be "out." Worry not.

Closed Thread